Ok to leave the system in AUTO when there is no flow?

Jul 27, 2012
Austin, TX
Hi all,

I have a Hayward salt water chlorine system. My pump has an internal timer, so it does not use the external timer and it is always on. The salt system connects to the same load, so it is also always on. My pump does not run at night. Is it a problem for the salt system to stay in AUTO when there is no flow?

Thanks,

Scott

In the short run that is fine. But you shouldn't leave it that way long term. If the flow sensor in the SWG ever fails, and they do tend to fail eventually, there could be an explosion hazard. It is always best to have something additional that shuts down the SWG when the pump is not running.

One way to do that is to get a current controlled relay to turn the SWG off when the main pump is not running. Another approach is to get a separate timer that turns the SWG off, though if you do that you need to take care that the two timers remain in sync.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.