Hot Tub Won't Heat Above 93!

Jun 11, 2012
Hello all! Basically this is my deal:
I have a ThermoSpa Avalon from I think 2005. Has Balboa spa pack. Last week I got in and it was 104. Ahhhh nice....as the evening went on I started feeling a little cold which I thought was strange because usually the beer keeps me warm! I looked at the temp - 93! Wouldn't go back up...I thought, eh whatever and got out. A few days later it was at 104. I got in. About and hour later is was down to 93 again. I pulled the disconnect and let it sit for a day. Next day I plugged it back in and it DID heat the water up, but ONLY to 93. Not going above 93. Never had that happen before. My question is, I don't know what part failed. To my understanding it wouldn't be the heater because the heater either works, or doesn't work - right? It's heating the water from the outside temp to 93 so it must be working. The only other real component I can easily see is my pressure switch which I was gonna try to bypass but I really don't think that would be the issue either. I'm wondering if it's the high/low limit switch/sensor, but I don't know where that it is on mine. I could attach pics but I don't see where I can do that, at least from my phone...Any help would be greatly appreciated!

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

While maybe not related, how is your spa powered? We have a spa that is only on 115V power and as such, the heater will NOT run if the jets are running. So, it will slowly get up to temperature, but then as you use it with the jets, the temp will drop because the heater is not on. When done, the heater will kick back on to warm it back up. This was my first thought, until I got to the end of your post which says that is seems to not even be heating back up which could be a different issue.

My guess is it is most likely a bad temperature sensor or bad heater safety switch. Depending on the model of heater the heater safety switch may be built in or not, it also may auto reset on power cycle so a momentary power outage could explain why it was cold, then hot then cold again.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.