First Timer!! Have AIR BUBBLES out of returns?? Pressure Test Kits Available?

Apr 29, 2015
Wheatfield, IN
Have a 15,000 gallon fiberglass, Jandy 2hp Varible Speed Pump, CV Filter and 260K JXI heater along with Hayward SWG - Turned on pump for first time on Saturday, everything primed as I would expect, bled air out of the filter etc.....

Problem - I am consistantly getting air bubbles out of two or three of my returns - this very helpful website made me investigate the pool water level which is over half at this point and not dropped, removed pimp lid and ensured it was clean, also took union apart and ensured it was clean. I am worried my drain returns are causing the problem - problem is they are surrounded by 6' of clean backfill stone.

Are there any cheaper pressure kits than the Anderson ones or tricks to performing a pressure test to find out where this air is coming from.

I am doing a self install but have contacted my pool store that I bought the pool from and they are stating that it could be the varible speed pump on low RPM tend to cause this?? Is that true? Could air be trapped in the heater since it has no air bleed like the filter?

Good call ^^

If it's not the SWG, look for suction leaks with shaving cream. Put it around the pump connections and the pump drain plug. Put it around the shaft seal and the glue joints at any threeway valves. If the air bubbles stop or you start seeing foam or you see foan getting sucked in somewhere, you're on your way to pinpointing it. Last year someone discovered a pvc elbow hadn't been glued when it was built!

Wouldn't I be loosing water through the air leak when the pump was off??? And why does it come and go. Right now I was just out there and no bubbles. Yesterday evening bubbles and a hammer/ rock bouncing around sound. SWG is and has been operating all the time.

Wouldn't I be loosing water through the air leak when the pump was off??? And why does it come and go. Right now I was just out there and no bubbles. Yesterday evening bubbles and a hammer/ rock bouncing around sound. SWG is and has been operating all the time.

Where is the hammer/rock sound you describe coming from?
Sounds like you may have a cavitation issue which will sound worse when the pump is on high speed.
Can you clarify you original post about "pool level over half now" where is your pump suction connected to right now?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
On mine the plastic pump basket, for "water in" right before the pump leaks a little. It sucks in a little air and I've given up trying to stop it - I used electrical tape over it as a test and that was where most of my bubbles came from... Followed by suction leaks in my pool vacuum hose.

And the SWG does produce hydrogen bubbles.

So you might start with the prefilter at the pump by wrapping a few tight turns of electrical tape to seal it better. If that is it, maybe a slightly larger o ring may do it. If it's vacuum hose leaks, replace them. The saving cream is a good trick, too. But I'd try tape on the basket first, then try shaving cream around it too.

IMG_1484_zpshhwxovfc.jpg Photo by 71Chevy4x4 | Photobucket

- - - Updated - - -

The above post shows my plumbing to the return jets and the belwo pic shows the equipment setup. Does everything look Ok from a visual standpoint.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

http://s621.photobucket.com/user/71Chevy4x4/media/IMG_1483_zpsfcjia20o.jpg.html?sort=3&o=1#/user/71Chevy4x4/media/IMG_1483_zpsfcjia20o.jpg.html?sort=3&o=1&_suid=14333535770180026857129110299582

- - - Updated - - -

Can people see both pics on the photobucket site?

the return valve before the pump must be plumbed to the main drain and the skimmer with a blend setting?
I'd try setting to one or the other and see is the bubbles persist. bypass the SWG
With all the flex line used it could be kinked somewhere(worst case scenario) or you have a subtle suction side leak on one or the other.
Pressure testing the lines is easy with some pvc fittings and an air compressor

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.