Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: First Timer!! Have AIR BUBBLES out of returns?? Pressure Test Kits Available?

1. Back To Top    #1

First Timer!! Have AIR BUBBLES out of returns?? Pressure Test Kits Available?

Have a 15,000 gallon fiberglass, Jandy 2hp Varible Speed Pump, CV Filter and 260K JXI heater along with Hayward SWG - Turned on pump for first time on Saturday, everything primed as I would expect, bled air out of the filter etc.....

Problem - I am consistantly getting air bubbles out of two or three of my returns - this very helpful website made me investigate the pool water level which is over half at this point and not dropped, removed pimp lid and ensured it was clean, also took union apart and ensured it was clean. I am worried my drain returns are causing the problem - problem is they are surrounded by 6' of clean backfill stone.

Are there any cheaper pressure kits than the Anderson ones or tricks to performing a pressure test to find out where this air is coming from.

I am doing a self install but have contacted my pool store that I bought the pool from and they are stating that it could be the varible speed pump on low RPM tend to cause this?? Is that true? Could air be trapped in the heater since it has no air bleed like the filter?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: First Timer!! Have AIR BUBBLES out of returns?? Pressure Test Kits Available?

Since you have a SWG, they produce bubbles at the returns when they operate. It's supposed to happen but can look like an air leak. Turn off the SWG and see if the bubbles disappear to rule out the SWG.

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: First Timer!! Have AIR BUBBLES out of returns?? Pressure Test Kits Available?

Good call ^^

If it's not the SWG, look for suction leaks with shaving cream. Put it around the pump connections and the pump drain plug. Put it around the shaft seal and the glue joints at any threeway valves. If the air bubbles stop or you start seeing foam or you see foan getting sucked in somewhere, you're on your way to pinpointing it. Last year someone discovered a pvc elbow hadn't been glued when it was built!
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Wouldn't I be loosing water through the air leak when the pump was off??? And why does it come and go. Right now I was just out there and no bubbles. Yesterday evening bubbles and a hammer/ rock bouncing around sound. SWG is and has been operating all the time.

5. Back To Top    #5

Still confused. I did turn off the SWG and they stopped but still not 100% convinced since I can see some small air bubbles coming into the pump strainer basket thru the lid. .??

6. Back To Top    #6

any thoughts

7. Back To Top    #7

It is normal to see small air pockets in the pump basket when the pump speed is low enough for this to happen.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by 71CHEVY4X4 View Post
    Wouldn't I be loosing water through the air leak when the pump was off??? And why does it come and go. Right now I was just out there and no bubbles. Yesterday evening bubbles and a hammer/ rock bouncing around sound. SWG is and has been operating all the time.
    Where is the hammer/rock sound you describe coming from?
    Sounds like you may have a cavitation issue which will sound worse when the pump is on high speed.
    Can you clarify you original post about "pool level over half now" where is your pump suction connected to right now?
    30k in ground vinyl lined pool surrounded by decking in the woods.
    Hayward sand filter circa mid 80's
    If there is a way to do things less expensively and yield a superior product I am all ears

9. Back To Top    #9

When I mentioned the tern half I should have said half way up the skimmer inlet. I just want to be sure no leaks before I pour the deck. I will try to attach a pic tomorrow. It will not let me attach one right now for some reason.

10. Back To Top    #10

Please update your signature with your pool information as shown here, Pool School - Read This BEFORE You Post
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

11. Back To Top    #11

On mine the plastic pump basket, for "water in" right before the pump leaks a little. It sucks in a little air and I've given up trying to stop it - I used electrical tape over it as a test and that was where most of my bubbles came from... Followed by suction leaks in my pool vacuum hose.

And the SWG does produce hydrogen bubbles.

So you might start with the prefilter at the pump by wrapping a few tight turns of electrical tape to seal it better. If that is it, maybe a slightly larger o ring may do it. If it's vacuum hose leaks, replace them. The saving cream is a good trick, too. But I'd try tape on the basket first, then try shaving cream around it too.
    SWG: CircuPool (May 2014) SI30+Plus; 3000ppm seems ideal;
    My Ideal Specs:
    FC 5; PH 7.4-7.6; TA 90; CH 350; CYA 75; = SI ~ 0.19
    14,000 gal, in ground, plaster, Cartridge filter, Borates
    TAYLOR K - 2006

12. Back To Top    #12

IMG_1484_zpshhwxovfc.jpg Photo by 71Chevy4x4 | Photobucket

- - - Updated - - -

The above post shows my plumbing to the return jets and the belwo pic shows the equipment setup. Does everything look Ok from a visual standpoint.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

http://s621.photobucket.com/user/71Chevy4x4/media/IMG_1483_zpsfcjia20o.jpg.html?sort=3&o=1#/user/71Chevy4x4/media/IMG_1483_zpsfcjia20o.jpg.html?sort=3&o=1&_suid=1433353577018 0026857129110299582

- - - Updated - - -

Can people see both pics on the photobucket site?

13. Back To Top    #13

can anyone see the pics? Anything that stands out as incorrect?

thanks

14. Back To Top    #14

the return valve before the pump must be plumbed to the main drain and the skimmer with a blend setting?
    I'd try setting to one or the other and see is the bubbles persist. bypass the SWG
    With all the flex line used it could be kinked somewhere(worst case scenario) or you have a subtle suction side leak on one or the other.
    Pressure testing the lines is easy with some pvc fittings and an air compressor
    30k in ground vinyl lined pool surrounded by decking in the woods.
    Hayward sand filter circa mid 80's
    If there is a way to do things less expensively and yield a superior product I am all ears