Pool Pilot Total Control Ph Sensor Problem

PoolESQ

Platinum Supporter
Dec 3, 2007
Albuquerque, NM
Hi all - My PB just finished installing my Pool Pilot Total Control system - SWG with acid pump. We are both stumped with an issue. The Ph sensor is giving a false high reading. Acc'd to my TF-100, the Ph in the pool is at 7.2. The PB also got this reading with his drop kit (don't know what brand.) However, the Total Control system is stating that the Ph is 9.88. We found a Ph calibration menu and tried to set it at 7.2 (assuming the system would use know the current water is at 7.2 Ph), but the system would not let us lower it any further than 9.72, but would allow us to increase it to 12.6. Obviously, none of these Ph settings are reasonable or safe for the pool. When we try to lower the Ph calibration by pressing the down arrow past 9.72, the system reads "Ph out of range. replace ORP sensor."

The unit is brand new; I can't imagine the ORP sensor came bad from the factory, but I guess that's possible. What's more likely, though, is that we just can't figure the system out correctly. Does anyone have ideas for how we can get the sensor to read Ph correctly?

Here are my pool test results currently:

FC: 4.0
CC: 0
Ph: 7.2
TA: 80
CH: 250
CYA: 0
Salt: 3100
Temp: 79 degrees

Unfortunately, there are many possibilities. Here are some of the more obvious ones.

If the PH sensor ever dried out it could be ruined. The cap should have been full of water when you received it.

Any chance you have the PH and ORP sensor wires switched?

The PH sensor wire might not be firmly connected.

The PH sensor bulb might be fouled. This is especially common if you added any chemicals through the skimmer. It can be cleaned with a soft bristle tooth brush.

Jason, I think you're right, that the sensor is ruined. Since posting my original inquiry, I read in the manual that the sensors should never be subjected to freezing temps because of the liquid inside. Unfortunately, neither I or my PB knew these things were stored in liquid and the box sat outside in the equipment area for a couple of weeks during the winter. I've gone ahead and ordered a replacement. That was a $200 mistake!

Thank you as always for the assist, though. Your contributions are invaluable. At least this wasn't another my pool is green thread, right? ;-)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.