Intex SWG/Copper Question

May 5, 2015
Belmont, MI
So I'm just starting up and hoping to kick on my SWG soon. Trying to balance first: TA 225, PH 7, CH 110. I have the Intex SWG with the copper ion thingy. After doing my homework on this site I've read that you don't want to introduce Copper... aside from some hair staining, can someone briefly explain why? Also, to inactivate it can I simply unplug the current going to it, or does it have to be physically removed? Unplugging would obviously be the easiest.

Last but not least, my pool was filled with well water. The people at the pool store said if you use well water you should assume there are metals in the water and use a chelating agent regardless. You've taught me not to listen to them which is why I'm asking... should I use this and if so will this cause any damage to the SWG cell?

Thanks!

Well, the copper can cause staining of the pool itself as well, just as with other metals like Iron. I can't say what ground water in your area is like, but others here may live near you. Metals, like Iron respond differently to different metal treatments depending on what form they are in. Particulate, or completely dissolved. If you have reasonable concern about metals, and it's prevalent up there where you are, I would think a good pool store would test that for you at least before they assume you need metal treatment. IMO, the most prudent thing to so is to acquire a good metals test kit to determine that on your own. If I were in your situation, that is what I would do.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.