Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Solar blanket idea for tight backyards :)

1. Back To Top    #1

Solar blanket idea for tight backyards :)

Like many here I am sure, we have a tighter than tight backyard.
    With two young kids we still have a play set (actually two made into one!) shoehorned into the backyard with Daddy's shed, Mommy's veggie garden, a small patio deck, some grass for the dog.. and of course.... the pool.
    All we can fit literally is a 14' and that gives us just enough room to get the lawnmower between the pool and the end of the slide
    It is right up against the fence at the back and the shed at one side, just enough room to walk around for inspection.

After a couple years of getting tired of fighting with the solar cover, having nowhere to put it when it was off, getting soaked taking it off and putting it on.
    I snapped up a free solar cover reel on a local swap group and mounted it to the fence behind the pool.
    Last year we were still dealing with the cheap round solar cover that you buy from Walmart or the like but we needed a replacement this year and my idea was to get a pool store quality one and keep it cut straight at the back and attach it properly to the straps and cut to fit the pool at the front.
    I just got finished doing it today and it is Fantastic!!!!

Just and idea for anyone out there who might be tired of struggling like I was!

FullSizeRender.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

A shot with the blanket on....
    FullSizeRender (1).jpg

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Solar blanket idea for tight backyards :)

Hey tmurphy, that's a swanky idea, and I'm sure someone here will "borrow' that from you.

Welcome to TFP, and enjoy your stay on the forum.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks!
    I'm still reading posts looking for a good, easy implementation for a sprayer bar.. I think the kids would love it!
    So that is probably my next mod... and I am still getting up the nerve for a skimmer...
    Hubby is going to play with some solar heater he got on clearance at the end of the season last year, tomorrow.
    It's the first time I have let him play with the pool......I'm nervous .... lol!

4. Back To Top    #4

Hey Uxbridge! I think you might be in the same development as my parents...I think I recognize the house model behind you! Love Uxbridge
    28 ft round ABG with ~6ft deep end, approx. 20,000 gal, 2 spd 2 HP pump, sand filter

5. Back To Top    #5

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by pigeon View Post
    Hey Uxbridge! I think you might be in the same development as my parents...I think I recognize the house model behind you! Love Uxbridge
    LOL Pigeon, wouldn't that be a coincidence..... what street?

6. Back To Top    #6

Great idea!
    18ft Round AG, Vinyl, 100LB Pentair Sand Filter, 1HP, June 2012, TF-100 w/SpeedStir

7. Back To Top    #7

Supergood idea! Better get a patent on that before someone steals your idea! haha.
    Replastered 2015: Sunstone Quartz Midnight Blue 16x32 rectangular gunite with in-pool spa....18,000 gallons. Autopilot Total Control System with SWG and acid pump. Pentair Clean & Clear 420. Auto cover. TF-100.

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by tmurphy View Post
    - - - Updated - - -

LOL Pigeon, wouldn't that be a coincidence..... what street?
    They are on Ash Green. Their house model is the same as the one behind you. Their neighbours added an above ground pool last year and built a deck around it. Turned out really nice!
    28 ft round ABG with ~6ft deep end, approx. 20,000 gal, 2 spd 2 HP pump, sand filter

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by pigeon View Post
    They are on Ash Green. Their house model is the same as the one behind you. Their neighbours added an above ground pool last year and built a deck around it. Turned out really nice!
    Lol I'm pretty sure I know the one, we live right around the corner, I can see their house from my back deck
    Small world!