Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Sight Glass Leaking

1. Back To Top    #1

Sight Glass Leaking

Please help! My husband opened our pool and I noticed that the sight glass is leaking when I'm trying to backwash. It has no water in it during normal filter mode. He said that he installed everything the exact way that it was last year, but something is definitely wrong. We have a Triton Sand Dollar filter with a hayward pump.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Tucson, AZ

Re: Sight Glass Leaking

There should only be water in it when you are backwashing ... so it does not matter if it is empty in filter mode (that is normal).

Also, I would not let a little leaking bother me since it will only happen while you are backwashing.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Long Island NY

Mine leaked a little and I just unscrewed the glass jar and put a few wraps of Teflon tape on it and it stopped the leak.
    19,000 gal - Vinyl IG - Sand filter -1.5hp. - Taylor k 2006 - Loop Loc cover

4. Back To Top    #4
    DFW, Texas

I have some slight leaking near the backwash sight glass. It's been that way for a couple of years. Wouldn't sweat it. One tip I can give you is, look for a drain plug on the backwash pipe. If you have one, lubricate it with a spray lube or a drop or two of oil and give it a twist. In winter, make sure that all water is drained from the backwash pipe to prevent freezing. The small leak I have was likely caused by freezing water in the backwash pipe before I became educated about pool management.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

5. Back To Top    #5

There should be a rubber washer in the threaded hole. You can use a regular hose washer. The larger flat red washers fit best.