1st Time SLAM

Dan P

LifeTime Supporter
May 9, 2015
Miami, Fl
Hello all. Noticed pool water was getting cloudy after heavy swim load and did the overnight test last night. Last night's test was FC3, this morning FC1 turning the SWG off. Decided to start the SLAM this morning.
After SLAM results:
FC 30, added too much bleach initially.
TA 100
PH 7.2
CYA 70
CC .5
Tested 6 hours later, FC was at 18. Added pool calculator recommended bleach to get FC to 24.
How long do I need to keep the FC at 24?

Dan, keep SLAMming until:
A. CC is 0.5 or lower;
B. You pass an OCLT (ie overnight FC loss test shows a loss of 1.0 ppm or less);
C. And the water is clear.

Until then, don't let that FC drop below the SLAM-recommended level (28).

Stay at it!

You should be fine to add the correct amount of salt while slamming. Assuming you are keeping pump running 24/7 while slamming. Keep your FC at slam level for your CYA until all three tests are passed. Test as often as you can and keep bringing it back up to that with bleach.

Bleach adds a very negligible amount of salt to the pool. 1000 oz of 8.25% bleach in a 13000 gallon pool would raise salt by about 84ppm according to pool math. If the SWG needs salt, depending on the SWG it probably needs several hundred to 1000's ppm added to bring it up to where it needs to be.

I wouldn't hesitate to add salt if the SWG needs it. Use pool math to make your decision.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Make sure your water sample container is clean, not just rinsed, but scrubbed totally clean. Take your chlorine test asap after retrieving your sample. I had been using a small water sample container that wasn't cleaned properly and had it's own chlorine demand. This caused the chlorine to read lower than it really was and was worse the longer it sat before taking the readings...

Water testing protocol in a professional environment dictates rinsing all sampling and testware three times with sample prior to sample gathering and testing. Doing that helps too. It takes very little sample to rinse testwares for proper rinsing just FYI.

I don't think that's unreasonable given the fact that the chlorine is working not only against contaminants in the water, but also being effected by the sun. Regardless, keep at it until you pass the three SLAM requirements. Takes some patience, but you will be glad when it's over.

Took off the light fixture and cleaned around it today, didn't notice any algae. I took a look at the plastic hand held on my sheer descent and saw algae behind the silicone holding it to the plaster. I took them off and scrubbed the wall to get rid of any residue. Been SLAMming since Wednesday night and have still been losing way to much chlorine overnight.
8:30am FC 23
12:30pm FC 26

Getting frustrated. Pool has remained clear and have maintained CC .5 but haven't passed the overnight test. I noticed the steps at the lower entrance were a little slimy on the corners and brushed them. I have been brushing once sometimes twice a day since starting SLAM. Between the steps being slimy and not being able to pass the overnight test is starting to take its toll. Need advice please.
Last test results:
FC 27.5
CC.5
CYA 70

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.