Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1st Time SLAM

1. Back To Top    #1

1st Time SLAM

Hello all. Noticed pool water was getting cloudy after heavy swim load and did the overnight test last night. Last night's test was FC3, this morning FC1 turning the SWG off. Decided to start the SLAM this morning.
    After SLAM results:
    FC 30, added too much bleach initially.
    TA 100
    PH 7.2
    CYA 70
    CC .5
    Tested 6 hours later, FC was at 18. Added pool calculator recommended bleach to get FC to 24.
    How long do I need to keep the FC at 24?
    Built March 2015 13000 gallon free form exposed aggregate with sheer descent, Jandy 2HP VSP, Jandy 1400 SWG with Aqualink PDA and AquaCal electrical heater. Pentair Clean and Clear filter 150SF. TF100 test kit. Pentair Kreepy Krualy Great White.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: 1st Time SLAM

Dan, keep SLAMming until:
    A. CC is 0.5 or lower;
    B. You pass an OCLT (ie overnight FC loss test shows a loss of 1.0 ppm or less);
    C. And the water is clear.

Until then, don't let that FC drop below the SLAM-recommended level (28).

Stay at it!
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the info. Should I keep my SWG running as usual during SLAM?
    Water Temp: 88, don't know if the temp affects the SLAM
    Built March 2015 13000 gallon free form exposed aggregate with sheer descent, Jandy 2HP VSP, Jandy 1400 SWG with Aqualink PDA and AquaCal electrical heater. Pentair Clean and Clear filter 150SF. TF100 test kit. Pentair Kreepy Krualy Great White.

4. Back To Top    #4

SWG should be off. No need to use it, save the life on your salt cell and stick to the bleach. Especially during the OCLT the SWG needs to be off to get an accurate test. Temp shouldn't affect SLAM much.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

5. Back To Top    #5

Turned SWG off. I need to add about 20 lbs of salt to the pool. Is it ok to add while SLAMming to take advantage of the SWG being off?

6. Back To Top    #6

Water has been clear so far. Here are some numbers.
    Last test yesterday FC28, first test today FC21. I've gone through 12 gallons of bleach so far.

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

You should be fine to add the correct amount of salt while slamming. Assuming you are keeping pump running 24/7 while slamming. Keep your FC at slam level for your CYA until all three tests are passed. Test as often as you can and keep bringing it back up to that with bleach.
    18*36*23 true "L" vinyl IG 29,000 gallons. SWG. TF-100 test kit.
    http://tftestkits.net/splash-page.html

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

It should not hurt to add salt, but remember bleach adds salt too so I would wait.
    Lisa
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

Bleach adds a very negligible amount of salt to the pool. 1000 oz of 8.25% bleach in a 13000 gallon pool would raise salt by about 84ppm according to pool math. If the SWG needs salt, depending on the SWG it probably needs several hundred to 1000's ppm added to bring it up to where it needs to be.

I wouldn't hesitate to add salt if the SWG needs it. Use pool math to make your decision.
    18*36*23 true "L" vinyl IG 29,000 gallons. SWG. TF-100 test kit.
    http://tftestkits.net/splash-page.html

10. Back To Top    #10

Just did a test, 3 hour interval. 8:30am FC 21 added 135oz of bleach per pool calculator. Test at 11:30am FC31. Why did it shoot up past the target of FC28?

11. Back To Top    #11

TFP Guide

Do you have the correct gallons and % bleach entered in pool math.
    Lisa
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

12. Back To Top    #12

Make sure your water sample container is clean, not just rinsed, but scrubbed totally clean. Take your chlorine test asap after retrieving your sample. I had been using a small water sample container that wasn't cleaned properly and had it's own chlorine demand. This caused the chlorine to read lower than it really was and was worse the longer it sat before taking the readings...
    Viking Maui 2300g fiberglass in ground pool in a screened room with polycarbonate roof. 45gpm pump with sand filter manually chlorinated. Entire pool water can cycle in 51 minutes. Jacuzzi 336g hot tub with ozonator, manually chlorinated. TF 100 test kit with speed stir. Fungi pronounced Fun Guy, I'm Jim

13. Back To Top    #13

Numbers entered correctly, will clean sample bottle on next check.

14. Back To Top    #14

Water testing protocol in a professional environment dictates rinsing all sampling and testware three times with sample prior to sample gathering and testing. Doing that helps too. It takes very little sample to rinse testwares for proper rinsing just FYI.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

15. Back To Top    #15

After 4 hours, lost 4ppm FC. From 31-27 and added bleach according to calculator. Is 4ppm loss common, SWG off?

16. Back To Top    #16

I don't think that's unreasonable given the fact that the chlorine is working not only against contaminants in the water, but also being effected by the sun. Regardless, keep at it until you pass the three SLAM requirements. Takes some patience, but you will be glad when it's over.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

17. Back To Top    #17

Took off the light fixture and cleaned around it today, didn't notice any algae. I took a look at the plastic hand held on my sheer descent and saw algae behind the silicone holding it to the plaster. I took them off and scrubbed the wall to get rid of any residue. Been SLAMming since Wednesday night and have still been losing way to much chlorine overnight.
    8:30am FC 23
    12:30pm FC 26

18. Back To Top    #18

TFP Guide

When you test overnight loss make sure you test after sun is down ans as the sun is just starting to come up for loss.
    Lisa

19. Back To Top    #19

Getting frustrated. Pool has remained clear and have maintained CC .5 but haven't passed the overnight test. I noticed the steps at the lower entrance were a little slimy on the corners and brushed them. I have been brushing once sometimes twice a day since starting SLAM. Between the steps being slimy and not being able to pass the overnight test is starting to take its toll. Need advice please.
    Last test results:
    FC 27.5
    CC.5
    CYA 70

20. Back To Top    #20

TFP Guide

All you can really do is keep brushing the steps. You could do a dilution of bleach water and try brushing them with that.
    Lisa

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast