Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: My pool chemistry

1. Back To Top    #1

My pool chemistry

I just got in the k2006 kit and did the tests. Here were my results... Are these numbers ok? I am new to this I have a 22'x52" intex above ground pool with a SWG.

free chlorine 7
    combined chlorine 0.5
    ph 7.4
    alk 140
    calcium 30
    cy acid 40

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: My pool chemistry

Here is what our Recommended Levels chart states for your pool type (w/ SWG):
    FC 3-5 (See chart)
    pH 7.5-7.8
    TA 60-80
    CH 0-300 (Don't add)
    CYA 70-80

You can use the Pool Calculator in my signature to assist you in raising/lowering any of those as needed. It's a great tool to use.

- - - Updated - - -

Also Donna, when you get a moment, it would be a good idea for you to update your profile settings to add all of your pool info into your signature. That way you don't have to repeat details about your equipment later. If you have any questions about the chart above or what/how to add, please ask. TFP will assist. Congrats on your test kit and taking charge of your pool.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to the forum Donna

Your numbers are really pretty good. FC and TA are a touch high, but not too bad, and you can always work the TA down in time this season. You probably want to increase the Cya a fair amount, but overall your numbers are ok for that type of pool. No worries about CH with it being Vinyl, so that's good. Enjoy your soft water...

We have a couple of moderators here that are just up the Road from you in Longview.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks!!! Since my chlorine is a bit high should I run the SWG less time? I also just added cya yesterday- should I add more?

5. Back To Top    #5

The CYA can take up to a week to show up on the test ... so you should not add more.

And yes, to lower the FC, you may need to cut back on the SWG output.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

Tested again today my chlorine is down to 4 now so that's better. My TA is still high- it's 130. And my CYA is still down. I originally added 2.5 pounds at the end of last week. On Friday my CYA was 40 and now it is 30. Should I add more or just give it a few more days?
    Intex 22'x52" above ground pool with cartridge filter and Intex SWG
    k2006 test kit

7. Back To Top    #7

Test CYA a week after you add it and adjust from there. Here is the Recommended Water Balance for SWGs
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach