Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cloudy Pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Cloudy Pool

My pool was completely down for 6 months because the pump broke. We drained the pool half way 3 times & filled but still had a lot of debris. So we started with 4 bags of shock and filled up the chlorinated with 6-3" pucks . We vacuumed, swept the walls and netted all the debris we could see. Second day the water turned gray but was improving. We added one bag of Baking Soda and 4 boxes of Borax, per the pool calculator. My husband purchased a Taylor TK-2005 test kit. These are my current readings:
    FC=>10(the test kit only goes to 10)
    TC=>10
    CC=0
    PH=7.4ppm
    TA=120 ppm
    CA=50ppm
    CYA= 60( tested yesterday and the day before with no change)

We have continued sweeping, vacuuming, & netting.
    I added 6 gals. of liquid bleach yesterday and ran the pump 24 hrs. Pool is still cloudy. Am I going in the right direction with adding the bleach when my test doesn't go higher than 10. I definitely don't want to cause any more damage. Last year a $1500 pool repair ended up costing around $4,000 and so far this year we've had to replace both pumps, $600.
    I've read tons & tons of forum discussions about similar situations but there is always some small differences. So I feel like I'm going in the right direction but need some assurance.I just want the beautiful pool I had in the beginning. My pool is 10 years old. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    14x28 Grecian,vinyl IG pool
    Approx. 13,200 gals.
    1HP Doheny's self priming pump;
    Pentax Triton II High Rate Sand Filter (I think model TR-60)
    w/ Polaris PB-460; Hayward Chlorine Feeder

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Cloudy Pool

This site will keep you going in the right direction. Definitely do not add anything to your pool such as chlorine tablets (pucks) or bags of powder/shock. They are counter-productive and will effect other levels. I'm not a Taylor test kit person, but I think that's why TFP recommends the Taylor 2006 version or TF-100 because with these you can go higher and be spot-on accurate with your chlorine testing... and you need to be. Your CYA (stabilizer) is climbing fast, so that's another reason not to use anything other than regular liquid bleach as your sanitizer. If you haven't done so already, please review the chlorine/CYA chart in my link below, along with the Recommended Levels for your pool. Reply back with any questions and TFP will assist.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Welcome to TFP!

You are going in the right direction, but unfortunately with only the DPD test you are going somewhat blindly. To get accurate FC/CC results you will need to add an FAS-DPD kit to your test, which is available HERE.

Your CYA is fine as long as you aren't adding more via pucks or some powdered "shock". If you are just using bleach for chlorination then your CYA will remain stable. With a CYA of 60 your SLAM level is 24, so you can see why your DPD test is not up to the task of allowing you to SLAM.

Once you have an FAS-DPD test then you are able to properly SLAM your pool and will be able to clear everything out nicely. Please keep in mind that the TFPC methods are designed to not damage equipment by monitoring your FC and keeping it within an acceptable range for your CYA. With what you have now you have no idea if your FC is 11 or 110.

Finally, the pH test is affected by FC over 10, so don't try adjusting your pH while your FC is that high.
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits

4. Back To Top    #4

To emphasize the CYA and chlorine ... and while looking at the chart ... you estimate your CYA is to be about 60. If your pool is green, cloudy, or otherwise yucky, you need to follow the SLAM procedures immediately. That calls for increasing and maintaining a FC level of 24 until all 3 of the following are met: no loss of more than 1ppm of FC overnight; CC (combined chlorine) is <.5, and your water is clear. In the meantime, stock-up on bleach, review the SLAM instructions, and try to sweep, brush, or remove and debris currently in the pool. Keep your pump(s) running 24/7 as well until the SLAM method is done.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

5. Back To Top    #5

You ARE heading in the correct direction.

Since you already purchased a Taylor K-2005 the FAS/DPD test can be bought separately to give you the equivalent of the recommended test kits.

I am having a hard time finding where to order the kits from. I will keep looking.

Have you seen this chart?

Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

Keep it up! It will clear with time and bleach!

kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

This is the FAS-DPD kit to turn your K-2005 into a K-2006. I'd suggest ordering the refills for it now, since you'll burn a bunch clearing the cloudiness. Also more CYA reagent. The TF100 refills are cheaper than the K-2006, they just won't necessarily fit in the blue box.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

7. Back To Top    #7

Which test kit would you recommend when I repurchase? The 2006 or 2001?
    14x28 Grecian,vinyl IG pool
    Approx. 13,200 gals.
    1HP Doheny's self priming pump;
    Pentax Triton II High Rate Sand Filter (I think model TR-60)
    w/ Polaris PB-460; Hayward Chlorine Feeder

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by LFVADALANE View Post
    Which test kit would you recommend when I repurchase? The 2006 or 2001?
    you don't need an entire new kit, just the single FAS/DPD Richard linked in his post. The difference between the K2005 and K2006 is that one test.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon