Are these readings ok?

Jul 20, 2014
Berks County, PA
Hi,

I seem to have made it through the first winter after replastering without getting any scale, so I guess pulling back the cover and making periodical adjustments to pH and TA during the off-season helped. I want to know if these readings look alright...

pH 7.6
TA 110
CH 170
SI (at a current water temp of 74) -0.04

I know CH should probably be higher but if I plug in a CH of 250, for example, and the water temp gets up into the mid 80s, the SI goes to 0.25...closer to the scaling zone. Let me know if anything should be adjusted.

Thanks!

Keith

You sure on that? One if us is using PoolMath wrong - if I plug in your numbers at 85 deg, I only get 0.16 for CSI. Unless your pH is stable you could try dropping TA to around 80 and pH to 7.5 when the water warms up. Check to see if pH stays relatively stable, then you can up CH to 250 with some wiggle room on CSI.

Mike

Mikech,

I don't use the pool math calculator. I use the one on the pentairpool website. I just find that one easier to use. Your measurement and mine is close enough for me. Thanks.

Duraleigh....thanks. I'll probably boost up the CH a bit. I don't get, though, how dropping the pH and TA raises the CH? Isn't it better to just add some CH increaser?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.