Help! Added flocc and it's not working

brown

Jun 19, 2014
lawrenceville GA
I am a new pool owner. Ive been having a problem with my pool being cloudy. So about 2days ago I added a floc called sink and sweep. I added the whole bottle, which was probably not the best idea but I was desperate. I checked the pool pH which was really low and I also noticed the pool Turing green. I started with a blue cloudy pool. I know I can not turn the filter on with this stuff in my pool or it will clog . my question is how do I get this stuff out of the pool So that I can run the filter again?

Hi brown, Welcome to TFP!

Your root cause is lack of Chlorine in the pool. That's why you've gotten cloudy, and green. If the floc is suspended, and not falling to the bottom, hopefully some will fall, and be able to be filtered out....impossible for me to say.

You say pH is low, so how low is it, and what kind of test kit do you have? If you have or acquire one that you'll need, we can help you clear the Algae problem with what we call a SLAM procedure. It's a controlled, sustained shock process but it requires a specific type of high level Chlorine test. Post back, and let us know about what you have, and we can go from there. Enjoy your time on the forum.

is the pump off now, so the stuff can sink to the bottom? If not, reread the instructions on the bottle. If the pump is still running, get some chlorine in there (best to use liquid chlorine, aka bleach) to the level defined by your CYA level and the Chlorine/CYA chart, let it circulate for 30 minutes, then turn off your pump as described in the instructions for your flocculant.

While the pump is off, take the time to read Pool School, using the table of contents on the left to go through all the articles. You will learn how to take control of your pool, and you'll never need flocculant again! And your pool will cost dramatically less to maintain. Cool stuff.

After the stuff has sunk to the bottom (and you've studied Pool School :) ), vacuum to waste.

"brown", you can remedy your problems first buy obtaining a good test kit (TF-100 shown below in my link). That is the foundation of everything you need to do. As others have stated, review the links below designed to help all pool owners (Pool School, ABCs of Water Chemistry, Chlorine/CYA chart, etc). If you are going to the pool store for testing or advise, you will always be disappointed, and probably find yourself broke $$. Start buying some "regular" bleach at one of your local stores, since that is your best defense against cloudy water and/or algae.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.