Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cya?... Wth?!

1. Back To Top    #1

Angry Cya?... Wth?!

how long does it take for CYA to read after treatment (i.e. placing it in a sock and letting it be added)?!?! i added the recomended amount to the pool last week retested it today and its still unreadable by my test kit! i know im running a salt system, but my FC has went to poop, but the pool looks great! could the enormous amounts of rain be a factor in my levels?
    central Arkansas 24ft, 15268 gal, AG, SWG (perma salt= my 1st mistake im learning),sand filter, 1.5hp pump, just installed this July 2014, Tf100 kit, Real Pool Newbie

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Cya?... Wth?!

Rain should have minimal effect.

Is there still CYA in the sock?
    How much did you put in?
    18' x 36' vinyl steel wall pool with deep end, 2 lights and 6' steps, main drain, SWG, Cartridge Filter, 320,000 BTU Rheem heater, 3/4HP 1 stage pump - Ontario, Canada

3. Back To Top    #3

naw the sock was empty a few hours after i put it in. i placed 50oz of dry weight 99% CYA
    central Arkansas 24ft, 15268 gal, AG, SWG (perma salt= my 1st mistake im learning),sand filter, 1.5hp pump, just installed this July 2014, Tf100 kit, Real Pool Newbie

4. Back To Top    #4

What was your CYA level to start with?
    24'x54" 15k AG round - Outback Genesis
    1 1/2hp Hayward Matrix 2 speed. Hayward 180T Sand Filter
    TF-100 Test Kit
    Pool School & TF-100
    How to SLAM

5. Back To Top    #5

zero!

central Arkansas 24ft, AG, sand filter, 1.5hp pump, just installed this July 2014, Tf100 kit, Real Pool Newbie

6. Back To Top    #6

Mine was 0 and I had to add roughly a whole container of stabilizer just to get it to 35. I think it was about 4lbs. Is the water in the tube cloudy at all when you test?
    TF-100 Test Kit
    Pool School & TF-100
    How to SLAM

7. Back To Top    #7

my container is 8lbs.... **** i placed about 2lbs in the sock placed i tin the skimmer this morning

central Arkansas 24ft, AG, sand filter, 1.5hp pump, just installed this July 2014, Tf100 kit, Real Pool Newbie

8. Back To Top    #8

That's less than 4 lbs, so is that the dose pool math called for? Volume correct? Anything else happening in your pool before this? Has there been a ton of backwashing/draining because of the rain?
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

9. Back To Top    #9

You did some last week and 2 lbs this morning correct? When you test cya now is the water in the tube cloudy at all....or is it still clear? If you fill the tube up all the way past the 20 mark, and the dot is still visible....is it completely visible or is the water cloudy but the dot is still visible?

If its a little cloudy, then you have some CYA....Just need to add more.

I just did pool math for you....I used 15k gallons like mine.....Going from 0 to 40 CYA it says to add 5lbs.
    TF-100 Test Kit
    Pool School & TF-100
    How to SLAM

10. Back To Top    #10

there has been a lot of over flow.... we have had a record level of rain this spring.... pool has looked good.. just clearing it up... i have had my salt water generator on full level all week hoping to increase the production of FC

11. Back To Top    #11

there is no cloudiness at all... doesn't it take a few days to circulate the CYA... i haven't retested it since i placed the sock this am

12. Back To Top    #12

It takes a week to register on the CYA test.

Looks like you are still near 0 or maybe 10. I'd add another 1 or 1 1/2lbs to your sock. 2lbs will get you from 0 to about 15-20. 3lbs will get you closer to 25-30.
    TF-100 Test Kit
    Pool School & TF-100
    How to SLAM

13. Back To Top    #13

Yea, then wait. At least until a few to several days have passed once it is fully dissolved from the sock.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

14. Back To Top    #14

the 1-1.5lbs i added this morning has already dissolved.... thats pretty fast from what i have read!?!

15. Back To Top    #15

What kind of CYA is it that dissolves that fast? Are you sure it is not leaking out of the sock? Where are you putting the sock?
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

16. Back To Top    #16

Are you sure it is CYA? Does the fine print on the bottle say 99% Cyanuric Acid?
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

17. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    Are you sure it is CYA? Does the fine print on the bottle say 99% Cyanuric Acid?
    The stuff from Lowes dissolves really fast, as in a couple of hours. I am always amazed.
    16x32 IG rectangular 21,800k new vinyl liner 2014, Triton II TR 50 sand Filter, Pentair 3/4 hsp whisperflow pump, 3 returns, TF100 test kit w/speedstir. Maytronics s 300i robot.

18. Back To Top    #18

yeah its 99% CYA... the sock is in the skimmer.... i tried the disolve in a bucket method but that took WAY too long the sock desolves real quick

19. Back To Top    #19

ok 5 days post CYA addition i rechecked and the tube was BARELY cloudy when testing the CYA... checked the FC and it was back to 0.. zip... zilch.... and i have had my salt water generator goiong full time medium level of production (geos to 8 i have it on 4)!?... again the pool looks great but the numbers?... not so much..... 0 FC, ph great 7.4, CYA (tube was berly cloudy after filling it to the top i cld still see the black spot the whole time...... i addeed another tube sock full of CYA to the skimmer, no holes in the sock i checked tht.... i also added a double dose of bleach = 144oz to bring the FC level back to something.... again we had 3-4" of rain in the last 2 days.. im at a loss here!?!?!

- - - Updated - - -

if i have to constantly add bleach (chorine) multiple times a week it sounds to me like the salt converter isnt doing a thing?

20. Back To Top    #20

Maybe post a picture or a link to the cya product you are using. I have a feeling something is off here.

Your adding a ton of bleach because it is getting burnt off because your pool has near 0 cya. Why no cya is obviously the question. I wouldn't blame the SWG though.
    6425g Intex Ultraframe 18'x48" AG
    Stock 1500gph cartridge filter / Intex SWG CG-28669 with E.C.O.
    Install date: 5/26/2015
    TF-100
    Helpful Links

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast