Here we go!

TonyWI

May 21, 2015
Wauwatosa, WI
Long time lurker, first time poster. Please excuse the length of this post... I hope I get things right. I understand folks like photos -- so here you go.

Quick intro. House purchased September last year; got to enjoy a few months of pool after getting water clean & clear. I have no idea what I did, so now I keep a log. Had scheduled opening for mid-may, however due to MIA pool guy I ended up doing it myself. (And saved $400.) This will be my first SLAM & TFPC experience.

I've read Pool School up/down/sideways/front-to-back so I hope I'm on the right track.

Water was green/murky upon opening - lots of dust/dirt and algae I assume. Deep end was black.

Didn't have my test kit yet so I shocked the heck out of it (12.5%) just to keep things from going to swamp before my kit arrived. Initial cartridges were ones that came with the house that had seen better days. The green began to clear. I brushed & vacuumed to waste a few times a day. Lots of rain here, so no need to add water. Cleaned filters, repeat. Kept adding chlorine. Lots of brushing. LOTS.

Here's a progression:

May 22 - Opened, 4 gal 12.5% shock.

May 22-26 Cleaned and cleaned and cleaned and kept adding a gallon a day of 12.5%

May 26 morning - Test kit arrived (TF-100 + Taylor salt + SpeedStir) and I began testing and writing in the log. New Pleatco filters installed

TC 0
pH 6.8
TA 70
CH 200
CYA 0 (I verified this -- when I closed last year I didn't even know what CYA was, but I got a copy of a pool store test that had CYA 3 from September)
Salt 2000

May 26 afternoon -I had some calcium chloride left from last year; added 15lb; more shock.

May 27 morning - had chlorine left in the morning for the first time
TC 2 (FC 1.5 CC .5)
pH 7.2
TA 60
CH 200
CYA 0

May 27 afternoon - used PoolMath to figure CYA; added 8 lb in socks.

May 27 7pm - SLAM beginning. 4 gal 12.5%
TC 18.5 (FC 18 CC .5) - wow - my pool must be smaller that I was told?
CYA 30

May 27 8pm
TC 21.5 (whoa! not adding anymore chlorine)

May 27 10pm
TC 21.5 (not moving)

May 28 5am (husband testing water - need to make sure we both do it the same)
TC 20 (FC 19.5 CC .5)

May 28 6am (husband)
TC 20 (FC 19.5 CC .5)

May 28 8am (me)
TC 21.75 (FC 21.5 CC .25)​

So - there's where I am. I'll do the OCLT tonight; I have a feeling we might pass.

My question is this: the water is very cloudy; it looks kinda clear in the shallow end, but can't see the main drain in the deep end. How can I clear it up fast? The pool is painted (not by me) and it's chalking -- lots of brushing took place.)

We also have our first pool party of the year scheduled for next weekend so I'm in a pinch. I'd like to be able to swim and see my toes. :)

Looking for critique on my methods so far; and any suggestions -- obviously next year I will SLAM as soon as the cover is off.

Also have questions on raising CYA after passing OCLT, but that can wait.

Last edited:
You are well on your way to a clear pool! You have done a good job so far!

You are not really ready to do the OCLT due to it not being clear. I would save my time/regents/effort until it is clear.

Keep up the FC. It seem to be staying high overnight so not worries there.

Are you running the pump 24/7? If not please do so.

How often are you cleaning the filter?

I like what you have done so far! You are a model TFPer! THANKS!

Kim

Hi kimkats -

Gotcha on delaying the OCLT. Chlorine decrease seems gradual and measured today.

Yes - pump has been on 24/7 since opening. I clean the filter every other day, or when the pressure bumps up a little. Cleaned them this morning, with new clamp o-ring too. No real white hazy stuff came out; just bugs & leaf junk and dirt. (Last year lots of white gunk from paint.)

So back to the cloudy water... this was an issue last year, I remember. I have some floc in the garage. I know (based on reading here) that everyone has very different opinions on floc & clarifier. Since I have this party in a week, I am anxious to get the thing clear. I'd like to try it.... but also don't want to shoot myself in the foot. I still have enough water to do a full vacuum to waste (around 3" too high).

Readings from this afternoon -- full sun on the pool since 9am; pulling 100% from the main drain:

May 28 10:30am (me)
TC 20 (FC 19.5 CC .5 or .25 - it was real close)

May 28 1:00pm (me)
TC 18.5 (FC 18, CC .5)
CYA 30ish

Regarding the continuation of the SLAM -- my #2 question. Can I let the chlorine drift down a bit -- closer to the recommended level of 12? (I'd keep it a bit higher I think; just in case.) What I don't want is a nice clear pool with chlorine through the roof that isn't swimmable. I also want to have time to get pH, TA & salt put together. Oh, and raise my CYA for the SWG... and on, and on. :)

Thanks!!!
Tony

Also... isn't paint a colloid? (I've been reading again...) And clarifiers are the only thing that would help remove a colloid? I'm leaning towards this stuff being the paint dust; suspended in the water. It doesn't settle.

Edited to add ... I accidentally left a film of pool water to dry in my test tube. It dried to the same white chalky stuff that wipes off the sides of the pool... The pool was painted by the previous owners who knows how long ago, and who knows with what.

that everyone has very different opinions on floc & clarifier
Not really. TFP is opposed to their use because they don't work very often and can make matters worse. They sometimes DO work but nobody knows when that is so you are on your own. It's very tempting......I personally wouldn't do it but it has to be your call.

It's very tempting......I personally wouldn't do it but it has to be your call.

Fair enough. I'm going to sit on my hands for now. Any option/thoughts around the paint thing? I remember last year washing "milk" from the filters and Dolphin filter bag -- but I don't know what had been put in the pool prior to me taking over. There isn't any "milk" this go-around.

And edited - maybe the old crummy cartridges did a better job getting the fine particles? Maybe I'll switch them in temporarily and see if I get any "milk".

Ya I wouldn't floc...My pool is painted (10 + years ago i think) as well and every time I brush some paint comes off and clouds the water a little so I know what you mean.

just keep filtering. It should clear up in 4-5 days.

Okie dokie. So for salt -- I need (ugh) 301 lbs. No issues if I go ahead and start adding that now is there? I also want to deal with TA but based on reading here I'll wait on that one. (Salt is a biggie, since I want to get the SWG up and running once clear/OCLT passes.

Also curious about how to handle the jump in CYA from 30 to ~70 to for the SWG after OCLT too. Won't it make shocking next year a nightmare?

Had a pool guy here for rehab advice yesterday. That warrants its own thread which will spin up eventually -- I'm sure you can imagine the chemicals he tried to get me on. He even said "Borax from the grocery store won't work - it will evaporate." And I should buy his "solution" instead. ;)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well, after continuing the SLAM for 4 days with zero improvement in clarity (but rock solid chlorine) I went for the GLB. The pool cleared overnight... and I mean CLEAR. I used half the recommended dose. Zero change on filter pressure.

(That's ~9 feet)

I've been letting FC drift slowly down - around 1ppm per day; no new chlorine added. I've slowly brought CYA up, gotten CH in check, and salt is in too -- using PoolMath.

Current read:

TC 8 (0 CC)
PH 7.5
TA 80
CH 325
CYA 60
Salt 3200
Borates 15

If I'm following this correctly, I need a bit more CYA to 70 (I'm going REALLY slow) a slight nudge up on pH to 7.7, and I should be good?

(This is fun actually, and I cannot believe how clear the pool is. Clearer than my other neighbor's, for sure. I couldn't wait any longer though, since we have a hundred or so folks coming on Saturday!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.