Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New liner with wrinkles

1. Back To Top    #1

New liner with wrinkles

I just got my vinyl liner replaced and filled up the pool - everything looked good - went ahead and paid the contractor. After he left I noticed a wrinkle (I’m guessing about 1.5 ft in length) on the bottom of the pool when night fell and I turned on the pool light. I would not have noticed it unless the pool light was on. Contractor says I’m just looking for imperfections and doesn’t want to come back out. In fact he basically tried to bully me into thinking I’m being unreasonable. The old liner had NO wrinkles, so that is what my expectation was for the new liner. There were a few wrinkles in the liner when the pool was filling, and the contractor had fixed them with a toilet plunger. He says to wait a few weeks for it to even out on its own. He called it a “pocket wrinkle” that’s like a shirt that smooths out as you wear it. However I’m concerned dirt will build up in it or something will snag it. I would like to inspect closer but I filled with well water (about 59 degrees!). What is the best course of action here? Should I wait on this or should it be fixed ASAP?

2005 build, 16K gal, IG - vinyl, 3/4 hp WhisperFlo pump, sand filter, Polaris cleaning robot

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New liner with wrinkles

Eskewj, it appears you haven't received a reply yet on your post about a wrinkle in your new pool. Sorry to hear about your troubles. Not sure if you have resolved your issue by now, but this reply should get your posting updated back to the top of the queue where hopefully someone experienced with your specific question can provide some constructive answers. We apologize for the delay, and thank you for checking-in with TFP. Have a great day.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Hi Eskewj,

I can at least help with keeping your post up at the top!

I have a pool with a vinyl liner, but as it is a "tiny" Above Ground compared to yours, I imagine my situation is a bit different. What I CAN tell you is that we definitely have some wrinkles in the bottom of our pool and they have not "smoothed out" over time as your contractor is suggesting. In fact, with the weight of the water, they are pretty solid. I don't imagine there would be any way to "fix" them without draining the pool? So, if it really bothers you...I think you would need to insist he fixes it now rather than wait. But, that is my somewhat uninformed opinion!
    6,000 gallon ~ AG Intex round vinyl pool ~ 16x48 ~ with a Hayward cartridge filter

4. Back To Top    #4

since this was from a month ago, im sure you found out the wrinkles will not flatten out. why would they? that would require the liner moving/stretching and its not doing that along the bottom. sounds like your contractor isn't willing to fix it. too bad, next time you know to jump in with a mask before they leave
    Dan
    9,000 gallon in-ground Saltwater pool, plaster, cartridge filer, 1.0 hp pump, Hayward T-15 SWCG, TF-100
    Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart; Pool School - Test Kits Compared;

5. Back To Top    #5

My wrinkles make it easier for me to vacuum because all the debris seems to settle right there. I can get 80% of the debris with one stroke down the seam.
    26' Intex 17k gallon above ground pool. 3000 GPH intex sand filter. Taylor Tech. k-2006 Test kit.

6. Back To Top    #6

I concur with dustbin3.
    I have a wrinkle almost in the middle of my pool. It's only really visible when all the dirt accumulates along it, and I end up seeing a black line along my pool bottom.
    More importantly for me is that my Hayward aquabug automatic pool cleaner does not get stuck on the wrinkles while chugging along, so it doesn't really bother me.

Round Above ground Cedar pool 18ft (approximately 30,000L = 8000 gallons), Hayward 2 speed 1.5HP pump, Hayward XStream Cartridge filter, Hayward Titanium HP50B 55,000 BTU heat pump, Hayward offline chlorinator, Big dipper ozonator.