Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Waterway 1hp 2spd Pump. Loud clicking then seized

1. Back To Top    #1

Waterway 1hp 2spd Pump. Loud clicking then seized

Back washed no problems, vacuumed the pool and right at the end the pump started making a loud "CLICK" Sound

Figured something was caught in the impeller. Shut it down, let it sit for a few. Turned it back on and it was fine. Went to turn it on this morning and it ran for 5 seconds and then started humming and it stopped moving. Im going to take it apart tonight and check the impeller assembly to see if there is anything stuck in there ( noticed the basket had some debris in it and wasnt seated all the way in on pump end )

Pump is a little over 2 years old.... is it worth spending the money for a Hayward or another brand if I do have to buy a new one? Is waterway a good brand?
    24 ft Sharkline Matrix AG
    Waterway 1HP 2SPD Sand Filter 100lb sand capacity, using 50lb of ZeoSand
    TAYLOR K-2006 test kit.
    Installed Spring 2013
    16x16 Deck Going up Soon.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Waterway 1hp 2spd Pump. Loud clicking then seized

If the clicking sound is continuous, It could be the centrifugal switch which is located in the end of the motor. Sometimes a spring will come loose or something is getting in the way. Remove the end cap on the motor and inspect the switch and springs.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

3. Back To Top    #3

Going to disassemble tonight and see what the problem is. I took apart all fittings and gaskets this spring and hit them with a red grease made for conditioning pool gaskets ( yes i did get that from the pool store )... So well see how this goes. I felt some gritty stuff in the skimmer ( left over sand from when I did the liner install and got my dirty hands all over the liner ) so I figured the impeller might be locked up as well. We'll find out tonight More at 11
    TAYLOR K-2006 test kit.
    Installed Spring 2013

4. Back To Top    #4

Fixed. Small item was inside between impeller sleeve and outer wall. took apart, cleaned and reassembled.
    TAYLOR K-2006 test kit.
    Installed Spring 2013