Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: VS pump without electronic display?

1. Back To Top    #1

VS pump without electronic display?

I figure electronics with water is never a good thing and has a much more likely to fail than just a simple switch. Is there a good VS pump that uses switches to change the speed instead of electronics? If not then is it better to get a 2 speed? Am I being too cynical? I want something that will last a very long time and not have to replace electronics every 5 yrs. or so. Please make recommendations. I currently have a Hayward super pump 1.5HP (1 1/2" pipes) and the motor has ceased so I have to either replace the motor but want a more energy efficient one that has at least 2 speeds. If I can just replace the motor and it's not too difficult that is an option too. But please tell me the replacement model number I need. I'm new to pools. Thank you.
    26,700 gal (rectangular 18" x 36', CES 3'10" x 4'), IG, Vinyl, Hayward Super pump 1.5HP, sand filter-Hayward S244T, built roughly 5yrs ago I think, 1 1/2" pipe, TF-100, Well and city water available.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: VS pump without electronic display?

The 1.5 HP Hayward Superpump usually has an AO Smith UST1152 motor, I am not sure the 2 speed equivalent model.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by sxch12 View Post
    Is there a good VS pump that uses switches to change the speed instead of electronics?
    No, they all require electronic components. A two-speed is probably your best bet. The two speed version of your motor is the STS1102.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

4. Back To Top    #4

If I get the STS1102 motor is there any other parts or tools I need to install it? Is it hard? Also is that better than getting something like a pentair superflo VS 1.5HP pump instead of replacing the motor? This is the opportunity to either replace or fix. Thank you
    26,700 gal (rectangular 18" x 36', CES 3'10" x 4'), IG, Vinyl, Hayward Super pump 1.5HP, sand filter-Hayward S244T, built roughly 5yrs ago I think, 1 1/2" pipe, TF-100, Well and city water available.

5. Back To Top    #5

You would just want to get a go-kit to replace the seals and gaskets. Difficulty depends on your skill set so it would be hard for me to say. Here are some videos that will show you what to do. Watch | WETHEAD Pump Repair Supply

Replacing the motor will cost a lot less than a new VS pump but if you get a rebate for the VS, that can be a better deal.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

6. Back To Top    #6

I GOT IT WORKING!! I turned the impeller and it loosened up and started to turn. Put it back together and now it works! Thank you

7. Back To Top    #7

The bearings are probably rusted and the motor might fail soon so I would start your planning now.
    Mark