Replace Wood Deck with Concrete

Z7What

Mar 23, 2015
New Orleans Area
In my back yard I have roughly a 400sqft ground level wooden deck. My son is 1 and is now walking and im worried about him getting splinters. I originally had plans to use the deck over stuff, after reading the reviews on it I decided against it. My next plan was to replace all the boards and stain it but when talking to a friend he said why don't you just rip it up and pour a slab. Well I didn't like that idea because I like having a color stained deck and didn't want some white concrete. While talking to a guy at work he mentioned a stuff called Kool Deck. Has anyone used this stuff or know of a better alternative?

koolcolors.png

This is the deck after restained it a few years back. Whatcha think?

24AF5C5B-AC41-435B-8ED9-4E9409020104.jpg

Wayne

I never had any issues with either child and our wooden deck. As long as you maintain it, it shouldn't be an issue. I'd hate for you to throw money away when the deck looks as smooth as yours does.

I have not considered anything honestly. I was against the idea of concrete all together up until this morning. Obviously cost will be a factor. If me redoing the boards will cost $750 and stained cement 3K I will just redo the boards. I didn't even think of stained concrete I'll have to look into that price also.

As for storm water. Just behind my back fence is the woods as you can see. Between the fence and tree line there is a ditch that takes care of the water.

I don't have a clue what anything will cost other than replacing boards. The section infront the shop is 12x12, the section on the side is 12x14 and then you have the triangle shaped piece where it meets the corner of the house that I'm guessing is 25-30sqft.

Wayne

Also not a fan of spray on concrete deck products. The concrete deck on our pool is a rock salt finish with color hardener added, lots of color choices. Completely maintenance free and still great after 3 years. Pics in my build thread in my sig.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.