Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Replace Wood Deck with Concrete

1. Back To Top    #1

Replace Wood Deck with Concrete

In my back yard I have roughly a 400sqft ground level wooden deck. My son is 1 and is now walking and im worried about him getting splinters. I originally had plans to use the deck over stuff, after reading the reviews on it I decided against it. My next plan was to replace all the boards and stain it but when talking to a friend he said why don't you just rip it up and pour a slab. Well I didn't like that idea because I like having a color stained deck and didn't want some white concrete. While talking to a guy at work he mentioned a stuff called Kool Deck. Has anyone used this stuff or know of a better alternative?

This is the deck after restained it a few years back. Whatcha think?

Wayne
    24'X54" Round 15,000 Gallon Pool
    Pentair SD-60 Sand Filter With 1.5HP Pump & Center Floor Drain
    Lil' Shark Vacuum With Leaf Canister
    New TFPC User And Couldn't Be Happier
    Pool School + Test Kit + Pool Math = A Perfect Trouble Free Pool

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Replace Wood Deck with Concrete

I never had any issues with either child and our wooden deck. As long as you maintain it, it shouldn't be an issue. I'd hate for you to throw money away when the deck looks as smooth as yours does.
    Inground 13,200 gal Vinyl, Pentair 3/4 hp pump, Pentair Sand Dollar filter, Polaris 280

Pool School, Pool Math, CYA to FC ratio chart, Testing Kits

3. Back To Top    #3

Well that picture was a few years back and it has gotten a little worse since then. I like the fact of the concrete due to not having to restain it once or twice a year which I have neglected the last 2 years or so.

Wayne

4. Back To Top    #4

I'm not a fan of the Kool Deck because they do require a reapplication every few years, when the surface starts to wear off. Have you looked into stained/stamped/sealed concrete? Pavers?
    Replastered 2015: Sunstone Quartz Midnight Blue 16x32 rectangular gunite with in-pool spa....18,000 gallons. Autopilot Total Control System with SWG and acid pump. Pentair Clean & Clear 420. Auto cover. TF-100.

5. Back To Top    #5

Dyed and stamped concrete is the way to go. The options are endless.
    36' x 18' 20k in ground, Finest Finish grey plaster, Pentair Tagelus 100D sand filter, Hayward Northstar 2hp pump, Jandy LRZ125EN heater, spill over spa, iaqualink controlled automation, Stenner chlorination, natural rock and flagstone coping, 1" glass mosaic waterline tile, SR Smith Vortex slide.

6. Back To Top    #6

Have you considered Trex decking? Remove the deck boards and replace them with Trex.

If you choose to replace with concrete, where is your stormwater going to drain? Matter of fact, where does it drain now?
    18k gal AG Sand Filter K-2006

7. Back To Top    #7

I have not considered anything honestly. I was against the idea of concrete all together up until this morning. Obviously cost will be a factor. If me redoing the boards will cost $750 and stained cement 3K I will just redo the boards. I didn't even think of stained concrete I'll have to look into that price also.

As for storm water. Just behind my back fence is the woods as you can see. Between the fence and tree line there is a ditch that takes care of the water.

I don't have a clue what anything will cost other than replacing boards. The section infront the shop is 12x12, the section on the side is 12x14 and then you have the triangle shaped piece where it meets the corner of the house that I'm guessing is 25-30sqft.

Wayne

8. Back To Top    #8

Also not a fan of spray on concrete deck products. The concrete deck on our pool is a rock salt finish with color hardener added, lots of color choices. Completely maintenance free and still great after 3 years. Pics in my build thread in my sig.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

9. Back To Top    #9

Good move passing on the deck over stuff. I used it on my deck last summer - biggest mistake and waste of time ever. Ended up replacing all the deck boards this spring.
    2015 Pool Build --> HERE IG 19'x47' w/ 7'x7' in pool spa; 3'6"-8' deep.
    Pentair 520 Filter, IntelliFlow VS XF Pump, IntelliChlor IC60 SWG, IntelliBrite/GloBrite LEDs, IntelliTouch w/Screenlogic2. 400K BTU heater. A&A G4V in-floor cleaning system. WetEdge Prism Matrix Pebble finish. TechoBloc Pavers and Coping.
    Test kits - Taylor K-2006 FAS/DPD, K-1766 Salt, SpeedStir