Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump placement distance question, too far?

1. Back To Top    #1

Pump placement distance question, too far?

Hello, im installing a fiberglass pool myself and i have a pump placement question

my pump is hayward super pump 2hp, 48sf DE filter and IC20 salt system. My pool is 13x30 inground fiberglass 3.5-5.5 deep. roughly 9000gallons

I would like to put the pump near my ac unit on the house which is about 75 feet away from the deep end of the pool, is 75 feet too far away for a pool? I would use hard piping 2 inch to get that length out of it

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pump placement distance question, too far?

Welcome to TFP!

That should be alright. A Hayward Super Pump shouldn't have any problem with that distance.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

That should work fine, but you really should consider a 2 speed pump to save on electricity.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks , 2 speed pumps are that much more efficient with long runs like that? What's the maximum distance for these pumps? I just don't want to regret not putting it right next to the pool like other people are telling me to

5. Back To Top    #5

The issue is head loss due to plumbing which depends partly on the size of the pipe, the larger the pipe the less head loss, as long as you use a large enough pipe there is no practical limit on distance.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

6. Back To Top    #6

Why are you going with a 2 hp? Even a 1/2 hp would be more than enough for that sized pool. I would run separate 2" lines from the skimmer and main drain and 2 separate 2" return lines back to the pool.

7. Back To Top    #7

This is a total DIY setup, found the pool used and buddy of mine had 2hp pump never used he gave me so it all started from there. Im installing this hopefully the correct way by reading this site