Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Above Ground Pool Purchase Help

1. Back To Top    #1

Above Ground Pool Purchase Help

After waiting several years to purchase my pool, I'm finally able to do it. I thought I was ready to purchase from The Great Escape. But, after reading dozens of negative reviews I am scared to buy from them. Where is the best place to buy an above ground pool? I should also point out that I want a 21x43 oval pool. I know most people go with round pools, but I'm a swimmer and want the distance for swimming. Thanks for any help.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Above Ground Pool Purchase Help

Hello - I did quite a bit of research before purchasing . I live fairly close to you and I searched all nearby stores. I thought great escape was quite expensive personally. Here is my two cents:

For Above ground pools the physics of a pool and supports and pool longevity all point to a round pool being your best bet. More square footage per dollar as well. Like you, I didn't want a round pool. I went to Ohio Pools and Spas to purchase the exact oval pool you mentioned above. Square footage exactly the same, they gave me the speel above about it not being the best bang for my buck and recommended a round pool which I declined. Next, they showed me pictures of splash (at the time legacy) brand pools that look cheap to be honest. In doing research though they seem to be superior because you a) never replace the liner b) made of galvanized steel beams and very hard material. In not trying to give a sales pitch I'm just saying look into it. Google splash or legacy pool then take a look at my setup. Obviously that might be a bit more than what you want to do but I enjoyed getting a rectangle pool and in ground look for above ground price.

Pool/Deck Install Finished Finally!!
    17x32 Legacy Pool / Deck built around entire pool / Hayward EC40C92S Perflex 1-Horsepower Extended-Cycle D.E. Filter / Dolphin DX-3 / GLI Cyclone Solar Cover Reel / TF100 Test Kit/Raypak 266k BTU Cupro Nickel Gas Heater

3. Back To Top    #3

A lot of people have Sharkline pools... purchased on a very well know website easily googled. I hired a pool installer ( sub contractor from local pool store ) to do my install.
    Purchase pool
    Purchase Liner
    Purchase stairs
    Purchase Pool Pump
    Purchase Cleaning supplies
    Buy bleach, borax, baking soda and some CYA. Done.

We were quoted about 6,000$ here in the north east for just the pool
    I have roughly 4500 invested in the entire venture including a 16x16 deck... and a liner replacement this year from ice damage.
    24 ft Sharkline Matrix AG
    Waterway 1HP 2SPD Sand Filter 100lb sand capacity, using 50lb of ZeoSand
    TAYLOR K-2006 test kit.
    Installed Spring 2013
    16x16 Deck Going up Soon.

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the info. I'll check out legacy pools and sharkline pools. I was considering buying a pool kit and sub contracting out for the pool installation. That does seems cheaper.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by LDH36 View Post
    Thanks for the info. I'll check out legacy pools and sharkline pools. I was considering buying a pool kit and sub contracting out for the pool installation. That does seems cheaper.
    NP - let us know what you get.
    17x32 Legacy Pool / Deck built around entire pool / Hayward EC40C92S Perflex 1-Horsepower Extended-Cycle D.E. Filter / Dolphin DX-3 / GLI Cyclone Solar Cover Reel / TF100 Test Kit/Raypak 266k BTU Cupro Nickel Gas Heater

6. Back To Top    #6

We just bought from this site
    And they are so nice and easy to deal with and even negotiated on accessories
    National Discount Pool Supplies - Above Ground Pools and Supplies

7. Back To Top    #7

Gityler, i'd be careful with that website. It lists the Sharkline Matrix ( which I have ) as having a Aluminum wall. Unless there are two versions of the same pool and same model floating around I believe the site to be misleading. Also Mine is most certainly NOT aluminum

Sharkline Matrix
    TAYLOR K-2006 test kit.
    Installed Spring 2013

8. Back To Top    #8

They have aluminum walls if it is stated.
    Mine is their New Yorker(Morada) with aluminum wall.
    They also own a local pool store in the same area.
    Many of the ones online are their own version of other pools.
    Mine was just as advertised
    21' NEW YORKER II 54" DEEP AGP Private Label MORADA RTR WILBAR Aluminum wall
    Hard Bottom and 1/4" Floor Pad 1/8" Wall Foam Well Water Perma 2500 Unibead liner King Technology Pool Chlorine Feeder HAYWARD Diver Dave cleaner
    Waterway 22″ Sand Filter 1.5 HP Center Discharge Pump Single speed Wide Mouth skimmer

9. Back To Top    #9

I was stating that the Sharkline Matrix is labeled on that site... The only two pools that Sharkline sells that are Aluminum are the Navigator and the Oasis semi inground... The matrix is in fact a Steel Wall pool with the rest being Resin.
    TAYLOR K-2006 test kit.
    Installed Spring 2013

10. Back To Top    #10

I understand what you are saying.
    My local Dealer has steel and aluminum walls in almost every model available due to the salt crowd.
    I was just posting a place that I had a great experience with My 21' x 54" Morada aluminum wall with 9" Resin top rails and 8" uprights , Perma 2500 Unibead liner and skimmer was only $1599.00 shipped no tax (unless you are in WI)
    21' NEW YORKER II 54" DEEP AGP Private Label MORADA RTR WILBAR Aluminum wall
    Hard Bottom and 1/4" Floor Pad 1/8" Wall Foam Well Water Perma 2500 Unibead liner King Technology Pool Chlorine Feeder HAYWARD Diver Dave cleaner
    Waterway 22″ Sand Filter 1.5 HP Center Discharge Pump Single speed Wide Mouth skimmer