Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool Math

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool Math

I am having trouble balancing my water, using BioGuard water tester at pool store and 6way tester, Wating for my TF 100 to be deliverd.

FC .2 ADDED 3QT 1 CUP LIQUID CHLORINE
    PH 8 ADDED 1 QT 6 OZ ACID
    TA 117
    CH 36 ADDED 3 GAL 3 QT CALCIUM CHLORIDE
    CYA 0 ADDED 3QT 3CUPS STABILIZER
    BORATE 12

TESTED WATER 2 DAYS LATER

FC 1 ADDED 3QT 2CUPS LIQUID CHLORINE
    PH 6.6 ADDED 4.8 BOXES BORAX
    TA 67
    CH 40
    CYA 28
    BORATE 60

TESTED WATER 4DAYS LATER

FC 5.5 ADDED 1QT 1CUP LIQUID CHLORINE
    PH 8.3
    TA 133
    CH 171
    CYA 57
    BORATE 38

So with a PH of 8.8 BioGuard testing says to add 4.5 pints of acid and pool math says 1gal 3cups, Why the big differance?
    Also he water is stil cloudy will dialing in the PH clear it up?

Thanks wgcole

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool Math

I would relax and wait for the TF-100 to be delivered. Pool-store and TFP methodologies are incompatible, so you will need to choose one or the other. Tens of thousands of members (and more if you include the lurkers to this site) use the TF-100 or K-2006 along with Pool Math to manage their pools with spectacular results.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

3. Back To Top    #3

Ok Thanks, What do you think of the pool conditions, Its is still cloudy will lowering PH solve this?
    And I filled out a signature, Why didnt it post?

4. Back To Top    #4

If the pool is cloudy, lowering pH will likely not solve it. You will have to SLAM, and for that you need the test kit.

I'm a recovering Bioguard user as well. My advice is to just wait for the kit. Spend your time reading and learning. If you attempted to make any changes based on the bioguard test results, you would likely accomplish nothing except lighten your wallet.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry