Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Newbie...Hello all!... Opening the Swamp Thing

1. Back To Top    #1

Newbie...Hello all!... Opening the Swamp Thing

Like many of you, I have been reading and trying to follow your steps to open and maintain my FIRST season of owning a pool!

I have about 17,000 gal in ground gunite pool...Hayward sand filter, and 1 skimmer that is considerably stronger than the other (closer to the pumps, if I block the closer one, the other works).

Opening the 'Swamp Thing'...
    What I have done so far...
    Day1-vacuumed out as much oak moss and leaves that I can... Dumped probably 3 gallons of bleach...left filter run all night.
    Day 2-vacuumed more(I think I got all the big chunks out now) turned my sweep on and let it run...later added soda ash (just because previous owners left it) and cyuranic acid in a sock and put it in skimmer...let that circulate for a while and then added 3 more gallons of bleach...

I have a few questions...

1) I can't find the tf100 kit Anywhere online or locally... What out of the three is the second best?
    2) I KNOW I need to test (taking a sample to Leslie's tomorrow morning)...but is there anything else I need to start doing immediately? I am trying to flow the slam method, without a test kit it is tough (obviously)...but I am trying to get one...

Any other pieces of advice?

(Thanks in advance for any help, and thank you for the knowledge you all have given to the public!!!)

Ps. I was trying to post a pic of each day, but I don't think I can with the cell phone?)

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Newbie...Hello all!... Opening the Swamp Thing

Welcome to TFP! There is a link in my signature for the TF 100. Get the XL option and a speed stir.

While waiting for your test to arrive keep brushing and vacuuming and the filter running. You can safely add 2 ppm of bleach daily until you have your test kit and numbers. You can use pool math to figure out how much 2 ppm is.

We can't really give advice on pool test results.

- - - Updated - - -

Also if you could update your signature with your pool info and equipment that would be great! You can do this in settings.

To post a pic if you have a smartphone you can upload photos to photobucket, then copy the IMG code and paste it here.

- - - Updated - - -

The reason I say only add 2ppm a day is we don't know your CYA and it could be 0
    Lisa
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP!

1) I can't find the tf100 kit Anywhere online or locally...
    You can find it here: TFTestkits.net

2) I KNOW I need to test (taking a sample to Leslie's tomorrow morning)...
    Wouldn't bother with pool store testing. It is notoriously inaccurate and is a loss-leader to get you in the store so they can sell you all sorts of unneeded chemicals and try to get you hooked on them. Ordering a test kit tonight would be a far better move.

What I have done so far...
    Day1-vacuumed out as much oak moss and leaves that I can... Dumped probably 3 gallons of bleach...left filter run all night.
    Day 2-vacuumed more(I think I got all the big chunks out now) turned my sweep on and let it run...later added soda ash (just because previous owners left it) and cyuranic acid in a sock and put it in skimmer...let that circulate for a while and then added 3 more gallons of bleach...
    Good job on removing as much debris as you can from the pool. But, please, stop haphazardly dumping chemicals in the pool. Order a Recommended Test Kit tonight so you can run a series of tests and dose according to what is needed in the right amount. If you order it tonight, you will likely have it in 2-3 days and your pool's condition will not change radically in that amount of time.

BTW, you list your location as "Edmond". Is that in Oklahoma or ??? Please add a state - your general location is a factor in the advice we give.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

4. Back To Top    #4

Just order the kit, speedstir and XL option. Thanks! I think I attached the pic of the pool, day 1.

- - - Updated - - -

Day 2...
    Attached Images Attached Images

5. Back To Top    #5

And yes, Oklahoma...I think I have my signature updated...
    ~16,500g, in ground gunite pool, Hayward pro series sand filter, Emerson pumps, TF 100 XL test kit, Speed Stir, Polaris 280 pool sweep (I believe that is the model)

6. Back To Top    #6

Looks like you are making progress already.

Also, good move on ordering the kit quickly-you'll be glad you did!
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

7. Back To Top    #7

Thank you. I mentioned I didn't have a test kit... I have the test strips that i know are not recommended by this site. (Again, left from the previous owner).

basically I didn't have any FC or CYA...from the forums, I gathered those were the two most important... So based on that info, although not good. From that information and the pool calculator, those were the pieces of information that I used to add the chemicals that I have done so far...

So, although I don't have the ideal test kit yet, I was trying to do my best to follow the TFPC method...

I do appreciate all the help!
    ~16,500g, in ground gunite pool, Hayward pro series sand filter, Emerson pumps, TF 100 XL test kit, Speed Stir, Polaris 280 pool sweep (I believe that is the model)

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

Great progress already! Keep it up!
    Lisa
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

9. Back To Top    #9

Day 3...getting there...
    Attached Images Attached Images

10. Back To Top    #10

TFP Guide

You are doing awesome!
    Lisa

11. Back To Top    #11

Well thanks... I honestly don't know what is a good time frame to turn a swamp around... I suspect it will be blue tomorrow... But not swim ready... Hopefully by next week I can get it tuned up to swim while continually learning to fine tune and keep it tuned!

I just appreciate all the the help from this board!

12. Back To Top    #12

TFP Guide

It really varies on how long. Mine was 13 days. There are some that took a month or more.
    Lisa