Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: First time for TFP, I think I'm on the right track!?

1. Back To Top    #1

First time for TFP, I think I'm on the right track!?

Opened pool 5/24, slightly cloudy, nothing green
    PH 7.2
    FC 0
    TC 0
    Alk 120
    CH 275
    * added 121oz 7.25% bleach, and 4lb CYA in sock, filter running 24/7

5/25
    FC 2
    CC 5
    CYA 20

5/27
    PH 7.5
    FC 2
    CC 1
    CYA 30-35
    I just recorded these results to perform an OCLT before I add more chlorine. Do I need to bring the level up to SLAM it?

Thanks!
    AG 10,400gal, Hayward 2hp pump w/cartridge filter, city water, 8-9hrs of sunlight, TF-100 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: First time for TFP, I think I'm on the right track!?

Welcome to TFP!

CC above 0.5 means you should SLAM.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks!

I forgot to post that I added another 121oz chlorine on 5/26. The pool gets sun almost all day. I will check the level in the morning and add more chlorine.
    AG 10,400gal, Hayward 2hp pump w/cartridge filter, city water, 8-9hrs of sunlight, TF-100 test kit

4. Back To Top    #4

If you're cc is really 1. You need to slam
    12 x 26 Viking FG IG, Bermuda Model, 3 1/2' to 5', 7000 Gallons, Diamond Series Maya, Hayward 1 1/2 HP Maxflo VS, Hayward Stay Clear Plus Cart Filter C17502(S), Hayward Aqua Rite SWG w/T3 cell, Color Changing FIBERSTAR Lighting, Aqua Bot Supreme Robotic cleaner, Brushed Concrete with CCI Liberty Tan color, Taylor K-2006 test kit, Armor Foundation penetrating concrete sealer(lifetime warranty).

5. Back To Top    #5

A few gallons now to head off a bloom could save you twenty or thirty later.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks for the advice. I added 2.5 gallons of chlorine early this morning after I took a water sample out for tests. I also vacuumed the small amount of debris in the middle and brushed the whole pool.

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

Welcome to TFP!
    Lisa
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

8. Back To Top    #8

So I thought everything was going good until now. It's 10:45 pm and I just did a CDT and my level is 0.5 ppm after I added 2.5 gallons of 7.25% bleach this morning. My CYA level of 30-35 is still too low. I added 4lbs of CYA last Sunday. When should I retest and add more? I'm going to go add more bleach now.

9. Back To Top    #9

CYA of 30 is ideal for the SLAM. If you raise CYA, you also need to raise the shock level, and that can get very very high very fast.

Keep the FC up until you pass all three tests at the same time. Then deal with fine tuning the rest.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

10. Back To Top    #10

Ok, that's good because I don't have anymore to add. So my FC is 0.5 and CC is 0.5 which is down from 1. Should I maintain SLAM level until it is 0? I thought 0-0.5 was OK?

11. Back To Top    #11

Your not done slamming until you pass all 3 test.

CC is 0.5 or lower;
    You pass an OCLT (ie overnight FC loss test shows a loss of 1.0 ppm or less);
    And the water is clear.
    18ft Round AG, Vinyl, 100LB Pentair Sand Filter, 1HP, June 2012, TF-100 w/SpeedStir

12. Back To Top    #12

@April. I passed all three. The water has been crystal clear, my OCLT test was 1ppm, and the CC is now 0.5. I'm going to add bleach now to bring it up to SLAM level tonight and retest tomorrow afternoon.

13. Back To Top    #13

The bleach I bought from Dollar General says it has 7.86% available chlorine in it. So I'm going to use the chart to add enough to bring the FC level up to 12ppm based on my CYA of 30.

14. Back To Top    #14

Some say that the dollar store bleach can be old and weaker than it says on the bottle.
    But I don't know for sure. I have never used it.

It may not raise your FC LEVEL as much as it should.
    18ft Round AG, Vinyl, 100LB Pentair Sand Filter, 1HP, June 2012, TF-100 w/SpeedStir

15. Back To Top    #15

Dollar General sells name brand items as well as their own brand. The DG brand was comparable to Chlorox, but cheaper in price.

16. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by cjb400 View Post
    Dollar General sells name brand items as well as their own brand. The DG brand was comparable to Chlorox, but cheaper in price.
    Yes they do sell name brands also. I'm not saying I don't like the dollar store. I'm saying that on TFP there are ALOT of threads saying that bleach purchased at the Dollar Store may not be full strength. I just wanted you to be aware that if you add "Dollar Store bleach" After you test, your level may not be as high (strength is less) as Pool Math tells you. It may cause your OCLT to be incorrect.

17. Back To Top    #17

TFP Guide

To check the strength of the bleach, test and add bleach to your target level. Then test 30 mins after you add to see if you hit your target. If you did not, then your bleach is weak and you can lower the % in pool math to a lower number and add from there.

This happened to me. My liquid chlorine should have been 10%. When I did this it did not reach target. I changed my % to 6% and hit my target every time.
    Lisa
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

18. Back To Top    #18

Thanks I will try that the next time I add bleach. Right now I have confidence in the DG brand bleach. There is a no name brand that I would not use for my pool.