Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Chlorine level increases as it sits??

1. Back To Top    #1

Chlorine level increases as it sits??

I use the TF-100 test kit. Whenever I am testing for chlorine, whether it's free or total, I have noticed that as it sits it reads a higher level. In other words, when I first drop the 5 drops of test in the tube it is pale yellow, within as little as 10-15 seconds it is brighter yellow (or, is already reading a whole point higher). Same with the pink of the free chlorine. I could add a few drops of the test and it turns clear and stays that way for many seconds after swirling, then I look back at it a minute or so later and it's bright pink.

So, my question is, when is the best time to record the correct reading for chlorine? The second I am done swirling the test tube, or 10 seconds later, 20...???

Thank you!

PS. I use a salt water system, but shock and increase with bleach.
    Above ground, 10k intex vinyl ultra frame pool. Intex saltwater-sand filtration. Installed May 2014. TF-100 test kit, plus Taylor K-1766 salt test.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Chlorine level increases as it sits??

With the OTO test, a darkening points to the presence of CC.

For the FAS-DPD, add drops until it is clear and you are done with FC, then immediately do the CC test. It will always go back to pink if it sits.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Something doesn't sound right.
    Pale yellow isn't a normal color. Here's the video on the test: FAS/DPD Chlorine test for the TF-100 - YouTube

Here's all the test videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...8E18E2EE701C4D
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by bobodaclown View Post
    Something doesn't sound right.
    Pale yellow isn't a normal color. Here's the video on the test: [url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHQG4tgQsFE"]FAS/DPD Chlorine test for the TF-100 - YouTube[/url
    My question is in regards to two different chlorine tests. When I was referring to the pale yellow, I was speaking about the total chlorine... the one that uses the R-0600 drops. I know the pale yellow still indicates a problem... too low of chlorine. I am currently working on SLAMing my pool from opening it up for the first time this year.

Back to my question... When I read the results of the chlorine (the total chlorine with the R-0600 drops) should I read the immediate results... like, just a second or so after swirling? Or, should I wait 10 seconds or more????
    Above ground, 10k intex vinyl ultra frame pool. Intex saltwater-sand filtration. Installed May 2014. TF-100 test kit, plus Taylor K-1766 salt test.

5. Back To Top    #5

Read upon swirling. Don't wait ten seconds.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    With the OTO test, a darkening points to the presence of CC.

For the FAS-DPD, add drops until it is clear and you are done with FC, then immediately do the CC test. It will always go back to pink if it sits.
    Got it! Thank you. As you can see (or may have guessed) I am opening my pool for the first time this year, and it needs to be SLAMed.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick_B View Post
    Read upon swirling. Don't wait ten seconds.
    Perfect! Thank you again!

7. Back To Top    #7

That's ok, you are on the right track, and all the help you need is here. Good luck on it, you'll be very pleased when it's done.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

8. Back To Top    #8

Or just skip the OTO test and stick with the FAS-DPD for now.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

9. Back To Top    #9

Sorry I've only used the FAS-DPD test never the OTO.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida