Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New pool, bulging wall

1. Back To Top    #1

Question New pool, bulging wall

Hi all, love the great information on this site!!

I just had my old pool replaced after winter snow and ice load damaged the old one. Installers came and set up the pool yesterday. It looks good, except for one area that I discovered while filling the pool. One section of wall, about 3' long, is bulging outward an inch or so, about 3" up from where it is sitting in the bottom rail. So effectively there is a small portion of the pool water hanging out over empty space. It's hard to see in the picture, but I am concerned about this being structurally sound long term (and if I don't take care of it now it will be harder to make my case later). Also it's a brand new pool so it doesn't seem right that it is bulging like that. What do you think?

Pool is a Simbio 24' round above ground pool (with stainless panel where the skimmer and return are).

Thanks!
    Mike M.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New pool, bulging wall

Welcome to TFP!!

I don't know if that's normal or not but I'm sure someone will be along to help ya out.
    18ft Round AG, Vinyl, 100LB Pentair Sand Filter, 1HP, June 2012, TF-100 w/SpeedStir

3. Back To Top    #3

I googled but didn't see - is your bottom track resin or metal?
    27k gallon 33' round, partially buried 22" Sandman sand filter, 1.5hp 2 speed TidalWave pump, Pentair 'Lil Shark with leaf canister, TF-100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Not sure, but you need to turn that Frog off
    Inground 13,200 gal Vinyl, Pentair 3/4 hp pump, Pentair Sand Dollar filter, Polaris 280

Pool School, Pool Math, CYA to FC ratio chart, Testing Kits

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Defgufman View Post
    Not sure, but you need to turn that Frog off
    Why's that?

Also, could this be caused by a "high spot"? I've done a lot of googling on this but it's hard to tell...

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by BellaBuggy View Post
    I googled but didn't see - is your bottom track resin or metal?
    The bottom track is metal.

7. Back To Top    #7

Replying to myself... Here's a better picture.
    Attached Images Attached Images

8. Back To Top    #8

I can't tell what is going on in the picture so I'm not sure. High spot can cause wall deformity. Someone else just posted about that actually - maybe you could see their pic and compare it to your pool?

I asked about resin because we are told that resin bottom rails sometimes pull straighter than they should and can cause some problems.
    27k gallon 33' round, partially buried 22" Sandman sand filter, 1.5hp 2 speed TidalWave pump, Pentair 'Lil Shark with leaf canister, TF-100 Test Kit

9. Back To Top    #9

I called the installer and sent him the pics, he says it is nothing to worry about and I should be burying the bottom few inches of the pool anyway. Had to push him to even come back and take a look, which he will "try to do" in the next few days. I am frustrated with this whole thing, when I should be very happy to have a new pool! Need to be able to trust the pool 110%!

10. Back To Top    #10

I can see it in the pics you just posted. That does not look good. It almost looks like the track is too far in.

Is there water in the pool?

Kim

- - - Updated - - -

You do NOT have to bury the bottom of the pool to make it work. Mine is NOT buried and it is straight as can be.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

11. Back To Top    #11

Yes, I see it in those pics. 'Bury the bottom' sounds like he'd like you to get it out of sight and out of mind.

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by kimkats View Post
    I can see it in the pics you just posted. That does not look good. It almost looks like the track is too far in.

Is there water in the pool?
    Yes. The pool is currently full. I assume we will need to partially/mostly drain it in order to fix this, just waiting for the installer to come back and "take a look". Hoping he will agree it's an issue, right now it's pretty clear he wants to just leave it alone.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by BellaBuggy View Post
    Yes, I see it in those pics. 'Bury the bottom' sounds like he'd like you to get it out of sight and out of mind.
    Yeah, "cover it up and hope it goes away". I guess that works if it's not your pool

13. Back To Top    #13

Yes. We've just gone through a similar thing with our installer so I really sympathize with you.

14. Back To Top    #14

If I paid someone to do a job, I expect nothing less than perfection
    24 ft Sharkline Matrix AG
    Waterway 1HP 2SPD Sand Filter 100lb sand capacity, using 50lb of ZeoSand
    TAYLOR K-2006 test kit.
    Installed Spring 2013
    16x16 Deck Going up Soon.

15. Back To Top    #15

You have a high spot. That's why its bulging. If the site was completely level, it wouldn't do that. If the wall is out of the track, it needs drained and fixed. It Will keep popping out of the track until you address the high spot.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

16. Back To Top    #16

Cool Re: New pool, bulging wall

Quote Originally Posted by tjroux View Post
    If I paid someone to do a job, I expect nothing less than perfection
    I couldn't agree more!

Thanks to everyone who replied - I appreciate all the advice.

Some good news, I went back to the pool store that sold me the pool and recommended this installer in the first place, and they are going to send their service guy out next week to fix it. So I don't have to deal with the installer anymore, and it will (hopefully) be fixed. Will keep you posted!

17. Back To Top    #17

I wanted to tell you if your pool is new do not start the frog mineral system. Go with the method taught here! The frog system was included in my pool package they installed it and it's remained open but empty with water just flowing.
    Research and use the trouble free pool method. I did and my pool has been just that trouble free.
    Just my two cents but I wanted to share.
    24 ft round 52 in Evolution CLX 13,000 gal, Hayward S180T pump sand filter & 1 hp Power-flo Matrix single spd, TFP method, Borates Added, Taylor K-2006 Test Kit (Rincon/Savannah,GA)