New pool, bulging wall

Mike_M

May 27, 2015
Rochester, NY
Hi all, love the great information on this site!!

I just had my old pool replaced after winter snow and ice load damaged the old one. Installers came and set up the pool yesterday. It looks good, except for one area that I discovered while filling the pool. One section of wall, about 3' long, is bulging outward an inch or so, about 3" up from where it is sitting in the bottom rail. So effectively there is a small portion of the pool water hanging out over empty space. It's hard to see in the picture, but I am concerned about this being structurally sound long term (and if I don't take care of it now it will be harder to make my case later). Also it's a brand new pool so it doesn't seem right that it is bulging like that. What do you think?

Pool is a Simbio 24' round above ground pool (with stainless panel where the skimmer and return are).

Thanks!
Mike M.

Attachments

• IMG_4993.jpg
    IMG_4993.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 289
Replying to myself... Here's a better picture.
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_4998.jpg
    IMG_4998.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 469
I can't tell what is going on in the picture so I'm not sure. High spot can cause wall deformity. Someone else just posted about that actually - maybe you could see their pic and compare it to your pool?

I asked about resin because we are told that resin bottom rails sometimes pull straighter than they should and can cause some problems.

I called the installer and sent him the pics, he says it is nothing to worry about and I should be burying the bottom few inches of the pool anyway. Had to push him to even come back and take a look, which he will "try to do" in the next few days. I am frustrated with this whole thing, when I should be very happy to have a new pool! Need to be able to trust the pool 110%!

I can see it in the pics you just posted. That does not look good. It almost looks like the track is too far in.

Is there water in the pool?

Kim

- - - Updated - - -

You do NOT have to bury the bottom of the pool to make it work. Mine is NOT buried and it is straight as can be.

Kim

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I can see it in the pics you just posted. That does not look good. It almost looks like the track is too far in.

Is there water in the pool?

Yes. The pool is currently full. I assume we will need to partially/mostly drain it in order to fix this, just waiting for the installer to come back and "take a look". Hoping he will agree it's an issue, right now it's pretty clear he wants to just leave it alone.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, I see it in those pics. 'Bury the bottom' sounds like he'd like you to get it out of sight and out of mind.

Yeah, "cover it up and hope it goes away". I guess that works if it's not your pool :(

You have a high spot. That's why its bulging. If the site was completely level, it wouldn't do that. If the wall is out of the track, it needs drained and fixed. It Will keep popping out of the track until you address the high spot.

If I paid someone to do a job, I expect nothing less than perfection

I couldn't agree more!

Thanks to everyone who replied - I appreciate all the advice.

Some good news, I went back to the pool store that sold me the pool and recommended this installer in the first place, and they are going to send their service guy out next week to fix it. So I don't have to deal with the installer anymore, and it will (hopefully) be fixed. Will keep you posted!

I wanted to tell you if your pool is new do not start the frog mineral system. Go with the method taught here! The frog system was included in my pool package they installed it and it's remained open but empty with water just flowing.
Research and use the trouble free pool method. I did and my pool has been just that trouble free.
Just my two cents but I wanted to share.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.