Blue Cloudy Water

Hayley

May 27, 2015
Northern California
Hi Everyone! Looking for a bit of advice :) did not use/know about tfp method (so don't hate me!)
The pool was a green swamp and I added lots of liquid chlorine and shock. Swept lots of nasty algae from the floor. Now it is a cloudy blue. Have added clarifier (multiple rounds) and such. I know my CYA is high, but would super shocking it work now with lots of liquid chlorine? Pump has been running about 20 hours a day for 2 weeks.

thanks a million!
Test (from leslies)
fc-2
tac-2 (.2 difference)
calcium-80ppm
CYA-100
alk-110
ph-7.4
copper-0
iron-0
tds-800
phos-200 (probably due to dead algae)

thanks!

I got a Taylor 2006 Test Kit today. These are the levels:

10.5 FC
1 CC
7.2 PH
CYA 180 (using the 1/2 and 1/2 method)
125 TA
125 CH

I am unfortunately thinking that pumping out is my only option :(
However I am TOTALLY open to other advice and ideas! Thanks in advance!

Water replacement is the best option ... and then no more tablets.

You should leave at least 1 foot of water in the shallow end to lower risk of liner problems. You may need to drain and fill twice.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Testing what exactly?

You have 3 options:
1. Replace water
2. See if RO treatment is available by you (I don't think it is ... and likely costs more than replacing water even in the drought)
3. Spend $ on the "magic" CYA reducer that does not seem to often work ... then have to go with Option 1 or 2.

Testing what exactly?

You have 3 options:
1. Replace water
2. See if RO treatment is available by you (I don't think it is ... and likely costs more than replacing water even in the drought)
3. Spend $ on the "magic" CYA reducer that does not seem to often work ... then have to go with Option 1 or 2.

Sorry, I misunderstood your first tip. I am pumping out some water now. Can I partially pump out, refill and then retest cya? Yes I read reviews on the bio cya reducer and it seems like your pool has to be in a very specific condition for it to work. I think replacing water is the way to go. I feel so stupid for shocking so much and not getting proper tests.

Well, I would not keep testing the CYA after each small water replacement as you will just be wasting reagent.

The CYA will drop the same % as the amount you remove.
If you drain 10%, then the CYA will drop 10% ... from 180 to 162
If you drain 10% again the the CYA will drop to 146ppm

The more you can drain at once (noting my caveat in previous post), the faster the CYA will come down and actually the less water you will be wasting.

Should I SLAM now?

Here are my levels..just pumped and refilled about 16k gallons due to a CYA of 180. Pool is cloudy. What should I do now? Bleach?

Levels from a Taylor FAS-DPD test kit

FC-1.5
CC-.5
PH-7.3
TA-110
CYA-80

Pool Calculator says that the shock level for 80 CYA is 31. That looks like 13 gallons of 10% liquid chlorine (WalMart was out of cheap bleach). Will bringing up my level that high hurt my liner?

I made a new thread on testing…but here are my levels currently

Here are my levels..just pumped and refilled about 16k gallons due to a CYA of 180. Still cloudy. What should I do now? Bleach?

Levels from a Taylor FAS-DPD test kit

FC-1.5
CC-.5
PH-7.3
TA-110
CYA-80

Thanks for any insight!

Re: Should I SLAM now?

You can SLAM now, but your CYA is very high for a SLAM and not having a SWG. You will go through a lot of bleach.

I would lower your CYA by partial draining and refilling to get it down to at least 50.

Glad you took the pucks out.

Unfortunately I am going to have to do the CYA over time, as my water well would not like that so much in the CA drought! :( So I think I will have to leave it that high for now. I am going to try SLAM ing it now with an incredible amount of chlorine and bleach lol Hopefully this will clear up my cloudiness?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.