Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Blue Cloudy Water

1. Back To Top    #1

Blue Cloudy Water

Hi Everyone! Looking for a bit of advice did not use/know about tfp method (so don't hate me!)
    The pool was a green swamp and I added lots of liquid chlorine and shock. Swept lots of nasty algae from the floor. Now it is a cloudy blue. Have added clarifier (multiple rounds) and such. I know my CYA is high, but would super shocking it work now with lots of liquid chlorine? Pump has been running about 20 hours a day for 2 weeks.

thanks a million!
    Test (from leslies)
    fc-2
    tac-2 (.2 difference)
    calcium-80ppm
    CYA-100
    alk-110
    ph-7.4
    copper-0
    iron-0
    tds-800
    phos-200 (probably due to dead algae)

thanks!
    20x50 inground vinyl lined pool. 45,000 gallons. Hayward sand filter and Pentair intelliflo pump with auto tab feed (currently empty due to CYA levels).

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Blue Cloudy Water

Welcome to TFP!!!

You need to invest in one of the Recommended Test Kits and stop trusting the pool store testing.

Then you need to follow the ShockLevelAndMAINTAIN Process. But, likely you need to replace water first to lower your CYA level ... need to see all your good test results first.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

That's what I was afraid of! Thank you!!
    20x50 inground vinyl lined pool. 45,000 gallons. Hayward sand filter and Pentair intelliflo pump with auto tab feed (currently empty due to CYA levels).

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome to TFP

I love TFP!! My pool has been amazing for the last 2 years since I started listening to these folks.

I test with the TF100 and SpeedStir.
    18ft Round AG, Vinyl, 100LB Pentair Sand Filter, 1HP, June 2012, TF-100 w/SpeedStir

5. Back To Top    #5

You can get clear, but we need accurate testing to do it. Pool store results won't do. In the end you find the kit was worth every penny.
    Inground 13,200 gal Vinyl, Pentair 3/4 hp pump, Pentair Sand Dollar filter, Polaris 280

Pool School, Pool Math, CYA to FC ratio chart, Testing Kits

6. Back To Top    #6

Will any of the fas/dps leslies ones do it? It looks like they use taylor reagents? Sorry, there aren't too many options in my town. I don't mind ordering online, just would love to get a start on it.

7. Back To Top    #7

If you can find it (most do not carry it) the Leslie's is the same as the K2006. See the comparison chart for the part number.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

8. Back To Top    #8

Okay I am buying my test kit now! Leslies had the correct model. Thanks!!

9. Back To Top    #9

I got a Taylor 2006 Test Kit today. These are the levels:

10.5 FC
    1 CC
    7.2 PH
    CYA 180 (using the 1/2 and 1/2 method)
    125 TA
    125 CH

I am unfortunately thinking that pumping out is my only option
    However I am TOTALLY open to other advice and ideas! Thanks in advance!

10. Back To Top    #10

Water replacement is the best option ... and then no more tablets.

You should leave at least 1 foot of water in the shallow end to lower risk of liner problems. You may need to drain and fill twice.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

11. Back To Top    #11

Definitely took all the tabs out last night, lol. Drain and fill twice?! Not possible with the drought! I will just keep continually testing with my handy dandy kit. Thank you

12. Back To Top    #12

Testing what exactly?

You have 3 options:
    1. Replace water
    2. See if RO treatment is available by you (I don't think it is ... and likely costs more than replacing water even in the drought)
    3. Spend $ on the "magic" CYA reducer that does not seem to often work ... then have to go with Option 1 or 2.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    Testing what exactly?

You have 3 options:
    1. Replace water
    2. See if RO treatment is available by you (I don't think it is ... and likely costs more than replacing water even in the drought)
    3. Spend $ on the "magic" CYA reducer that does not seem to often work ... then have to go with Option 1 or 2.
    Sorry, I misunderstood your first tip. I am pumping out some water now. Can I partially pump out, refill and then retest cya? Yes I read reviews on the bio cya reducer and it seems like your pool has to be in a very specific condition for it to work. I think replacing water is the way to go. I feel so stupid for shocking so much and not getting proper tests.

14. Back To Top    #14

Well, I would not keep testing the CYA after each small water replacement as you will just be wasting reagent.

The CYA will drop the same % as the amount you remove.
    If you drain 10%, then the CYA will drop 10% ... from 180 to 162
    If you drain 10% again the the CYA will drop to 146ppm

The more you can drain at once (noting my caveat in previous post), the faster the CYA will come down and actually the less water you will be wasting.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

15. Back To Top    #15

Should I SLAM now?

Here are my levels..just pumped and refilled about 16k gallons due to a CYA of 180. Pool is cloudy. What should I do now? Bleach?

Levels from a Taylor FAS-DPD test kit

FC-1.5
    CC-.5
    PH-7.3
    TA-110
    CYA-80

Pool Calculator says that the shock level for 80 CYA is 31. That looks like 13 gallons of 10% liquid chlorine (WalMart was out of cheap bleach). Will bringing up my level that high hurt my liner?

16. Back To Top    #16

I made a new thread on testing…but here are my levels currently

Here are my levels..just pumped and refilled about 16k gallons due to a CYA of 180. Still cloudy. What should I do now? Bleach?

Levels from a Taylor FAS-DPD test kit

FC-1.5
    CC-.5
    PH-7.3
    TA-110
    CYA-80

Thanks for any insight!

17. Back To Top    #17

TFP Guide

Re: Should I SLAM now?

You can SLAM now, but your CYA is very high for a SLAM and not having a SWG. You will go through a lot of bleach.

I would lower your CYA by partial draining and refilling to get it down to at least 50.

Glad you took the pucks out.
    Lisa
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

18. Back To Top    #18

Merged the threads. Please keep related questions together.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

19. Back To Top    #19

Unfortunately I am going to have to do the CYA over time, as my water well would not like that so much in the CA drought! So I think I will have to leave it that high for now. I am going to try SLAM ing it now with an incredible amount of chlorine and bleach lol Hopefully this will clear up my cloudiness?

20. Back To Top    #20

TFP Guide

Remember a SLAM is a process that does not clear things overnight. Keep it at SLAM levels until you pass all of the criteria.
    Lisa
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process