PH 7.5
    CYA 50
    ALK 95
    Salt 3650
    Calcium 225
    FC 4.5 -5.0
    CC 1-2
    Phosphates 0

algae around stairs, under waterfall, and walls in patches.

I recently put in a new salt cell. Chlorine is rising without adding anything. I have been adding stabilizer powder but it seems a whole bucket barely moved it up.

I have shock bags (55% chlorine) not sure if i can/should use these or if liquid is favored due to salt and they might have stabilizer in them.
    13000, AG, Plaster, Pentair equipment pump salt, automation, 3hp pump, 11 years old, TF-100 test kit, city water, pool cleaner vac, South Florida

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Salt pool algae issue

You need to get one of the Recommended Test Kits and stop letting the pool store test your water. They are really bad, especially at the CYA.

Since you see algae, you need to follow the ShockLevelAndMAINTAIN Process. And that is done without the SWG.

55% powdered chlorine is cal-hypo which will add calcium to your pool, which you do not need in a vinyl pool.

- - - Updated - - -

Wait, signature says K-1005, post say TF-100, results appear to be from a pool store
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

why do you say they came from a pool store? i wrote them down as we did them from the kit with the magnetic mixer.

My pool is in ground concrete also. but will try the slam.

I have a waterfall fixture that the company used metal lathe that may be pretty much sitting in the water all the time. Not sure what part metal in the water plays but it probably can't be good.
    13000, AG, Plaster, Pentair equipment pump salt, automation, 3hp pump, 11 years old, TF-100 test kit, city water, pool cleaner vac, South Florida

4. Back To Top    #4

Well, TA should be a multiple of 10ppm, the FC and CC numbers should not be a range, and you reported a phosphate number (which the TF-100 does not test for).

Ah, looks like you have a mystery signature from a software glitch. I will delete it and then you can please add your location (City, State or City, Country) to your profile and pool details to your signature as described HERE as it will help us help you.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

5. Back To Top    #5

I have the tf-100. can't find the edit button for the sig mistake.

6. Back To Top    #6

There is a link in my last post explaining how to edit it.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

7. Back To Top    #7

Edited. Thanks

8. Back To Top    #8

Now that everything is sorted out ...

Just follow the SLAM process and then you can dial in the CYA and SWG after that.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

9. Back To Top    #9

Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

SWG Pools
    says "not recommended" when stabilizer is at 60. Mine is at 50 and that is not on the chart. Can you explain that? Do I need to raise it first or subtract 4.

but then read this

SLAMing an outdoor pool is most effective when CYA is around 30 to 40.

I can slam and use 20 as a Shock FC with a 50 CYA?

Can I use those shock packets or is the calcium bad for my concrete pool also?

thanks!

10. Back To Top    #10

Until you pass the SLAM and start using the SWG, use the non-SWG chart. In fact, the shock level is the same in both charts.

You should certainly SLAM with your CYA where it is and then raise it after you have passed the 3 criteria to stop.

Your CH is a little low, so you could use some of the cal-hypo, although be careful and sometime it can cloud the water and make you think you need to keep SLAMing. Be sure to lower the pH before you start.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

11. Back To Top    #11

The shock bags ended up being dichlor 55%. Pool calc says add 49oz. so 3.06 bags.

12. Back To Top    #12

Oh, I should not have assumed. Dichlor adds CYA, and fast. So I would not use it for the SLAM.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

13. Back To Top    #13

great I just read this but put it in this am. I also just read it on the slam sheet. must have missed it.

14. Back To Top    #14

update.

I put in the 3 bags of dichlor by accident. Stabilizer did not go up really from 60. also added 3 gallons of 8% bleach trying to get to the 25 + shock level. Ran the pump basically on high for most of the time.

tested it the next day and it was still low so I went to buy cholorine and had the water tested there. They said add 2 cups of acid and 2 cups of phosfree as my count was around 200. stabilizer 60

I have seen this pool, in less than a week, go from FC 30 to now 12 (rained last night) stabilizer is 60. It seems to be dropping very rapidly. Is this level of drop correct? i have bypassed the cholorinator the whole time so its not adding any.

The water is clear but concerned about the cholorine dropping so fast each day.

Thanks

15. Back To Top    #15

Forget the pool store test and recommendations, unless you want to waste money.

Follow the SLAM until you pass the 3 criteria. A week is a long time so yes the FC can drop from 30 to 12 ... that would likely happen in 2 days.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

16. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    Forget the pool store test and recommendations, unless you want to waste money.

Follow the SLAM until you pass the 3 criteria. A week is a long time so yes the FC can drop from 30 to 12 ... that would likely happen in 2 days.

i just did the instore test to compare mine with theirs. So I thought i had to shock it until it did not drop less than 1ppm over night. i am seeing like 4ppm loss in a night. does that mean i need to reshock again?

17. Back To Top    #17

Read the link in my first post on how to SLAM.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

18. Back To Top    #18

i did read it that is why i asked.

19. Back To Top    #19

You don't need to "shock again" ... You need to MAINTAIN the FC level.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

20. Back To Top    #20

you mean get the fc up to 24 then maintain that level? not maintain now at 12.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast