Rewire Pentair Dynamo Pump from 115v to 125v

May 27, 2015
New Jersey
Hi all, relatively new pool owner and first time poster here.

When I tried starting my Pentair Dynamo (340104) pump last weekend, the motor wouldn't turn. It just hummed and eventually tripped. After some troubleshooting, I eventually purchased a new pump that arrived today.

My new Pentair Dynamo (340197) pump has the same exact specs as the old pump: 1HP, 115v, 12amp. The only difference, to my disappointment, is the cord. My old pump had a twist-lock cord and the new pump has a standard cord. The receptacle (which is hooked up to a timer) accepts twist lock cords, and it has a label of 125v on it.

Is it possible to rewire my new pump from 115v to 125v?

On the pump label I see "Motor prewired for 115v", and it looks like there are two holes for different cords, which makes me think I can transfer the twist lock cord from my old pump to my new pump.

Last edited:
The only difference, to my disappointment, is the cord. My old pump had a standard cord and the new pump has a twist lock cord. The receptacle (which is hooked up to a timer) accepts twist lock cords, and it has a label of 125v on it.

Is it possible to rewire my new pump from 115v to 125v?

On the pump label I see "Motor prewired for 115v", and it looks like there are two holes for different cords, which makes me think I can transfer the twist lock cord from my old pump to my new pump.

I'm confused :scratch: you say that your old pump has a standard cord and the new pump has a twistlock, but then you wonder if you can transfer the twistlock from the old pump.

Now I am confused. My brain forgets what it saw several sentences before. If your old pump has a standard plug and the new one has a twist lock they can be changed out. That will get you up and running. The receptacle from the timer should be a twist lock. If not then it should be changed to match the cord on the new pump.

Thanks for the super-quick replies!

Bama Rambler, good catch, that was a mistake in my opening post. I meant to say that my old pump has a twist-lock and the new pump has a standard cord.

Based on what jblizzle and jcowart wrote, I should be able to transfer the twistlock from the old pump to the new pump. Good to hear! I'll have a look at the wiring (black, white and green) once it stops raining.

Thanks again!

It should all be twist lock. Remove the cord from the old motor first. Open the access plate on the new motor. Take note where the black, white, green wires go. Remove that cord. Is there is a strain relief or rubber grommet on the cords make sure the one from the new motor is used. Then wire the new cord from the notes you took. This should be done with the cord unplugged.

Many thanks for the quick help everyone! I was able to transfer the cord from my old pump to the new pump on 5-27-2015. Just wanted to reply to say thanks and close the thread. jcowart, I followed the instructions in your last post exactly - thanks!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.