Help finding builder in Houston

Tara, I'm excited for you ! We are waiting to get started. Signed with a pb last month. But he's behind because of the rain. I hate to complain. People have lost their homes...lost their life to these horrendous storms ! But it's hard to be patient. We live in southwest Houston and feel we have a very experienced builder. We interviewed 4 pb and are very happy ( so far...don't want to jinx myself..lol ! ). I'd be happy to give you his name but am new to the forum and don't know if it's allowed ?? While you are waiting to build your pool ,you can learn a lot from these folks. Very nice and helpful ��

Well, that's two of us so far to give you references if you still need them. And we cover 2 different sections of town. Now you need someone from SE and NE of the greater Houston area! If you're from my area, let me know, and I can PM you with some suggestions. For the most part, pool builders down here like to stay in their relative area. Suz.

My wife's previous husband had a pool built in Houston. Her experiences were that they had difficulty keeping live critters of all types would be swimming around in the new pool. She said it was a nightmare. Her suggestion is to invest in a lanai. That would surely stop the incursions. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OK, I'm now freaking out !!! When we moved to Houston 2 1/2 years ago we had a rat snake in our yard. We now have our "snake man" ,as I call him, come out every month to bait the rat traps and put snake away down. We haven't had a snake in our yard in 2 years. I have a serious phobia of them. Now you've got me worried. Maybe we shouldn't build a pool ! My husband doesn't want a lani as you mentioned. We live in Sienna Plantation, a well developed neighborhood. Not backed up to rivers or woods. Please, Texans, what do you advise ?!?

Tara,

There are lots of us that will gladly give out advise, but you have to help us. I'm up in The Woodlands, but at this time of year - I suspect good builders won't have too much time to go too far from their home turf. You'll likely want to find someone specific to your part of town or wait until winter when they have more time to go further out.

Let us know where you are and I'm sure many of us can help you out.

I think keep doing what you are doing and you'll be more than fine. I was surprised when I read that post, because they didn't mention living in a rural or woodsy area. So it did make it sound like maybe it was in a regular development.

I've lived in my house for 26 years with many neighbors who have pools. The only thing I've heard mentioned are bugs, spiders, and frogs. Our area is medium wooded but only with trees, no backing up to creeks or fields. Once in awhile we will have an occasional possum.

Last summer, I swam in a pool about 2 blocks up the street. I did see some spiders in the pool (which I hate), so I just splashed them to the skimmer.

One more thing.... Both my sons were lifeguards for summer jobs - each did that 4 summers. They also swam summer league from age 5 to about 15. There were never stories of critters except for the spiders, frogs, and bugs. You know boys - there would have been stories told with relish and embellishments of their heroics!

I can't guarantee you won't experience anything. But I think it's unlikely. I have a huge phobia of snakes. I would not be building a pool, if I was concerned.

If I do find something, you'll hear me screaming!!

Good luck! Suz.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Tara, I surely didn't want you to be freaked out. I am sure that what my wife experienced may in fact not be at your location. If it was me I would talk to your neighbors with pools to get the real skinny. I wish you the best and hopefully you will become more at ease. In my case we live on nine acres and we have a one acre pond which is occupied with all kinds of critters. I hate snakes but love turtles. We have had a few of those in our pool and of course frogs. I haven't seen any snakes but I am sure there are moccasins in the pond. I never go down there. Hope you can enjoy your new pool!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.