LifeTime Supporter
Jun 19, 2014
Liverpool
Ph - 7.0
FC - 1.5
CC - .5
CYA - 45
TA - 100

My pool is cloudy, can't see the deep end.

So last year I ONLY used liquid chlorine and never really had to SLAM my pool but maybe once(forgot to keep chlorine up). I hated the daily task of adding the liquid chlorine not to mention the clothes I ruined and constantly going to the store to get a new 5 gallon jug. So this year I switch to 3" Tablets. I put about 3 in the skimmer at a time and run my pump 24/7. The FC levels have been steady and much easier to maintain. However, by doing this method I take it need to SLAM or shock my pool somewhat regularly??? Could this be why my pool is cloudy?

I will be raising my Ph with some Baking Soda tonight before considering a shock treatment. Any suggestions? Should I do the SLAM and see if this helps?

Appreciated.

On a K-2006 test kit there is no CYA 45. The scale is not linear, so you can not assume half way between 40 & 50 is 45.

What is your CH?

How long have you been using the tabs to chlorinate?

You FC level is way too low for your CYA level (see FC/CYA Chart) ... therefore stuff is starting to grow in your water and making it cloudy. You need to follow the ShockLevelAndMAINTAIN Process to clear up your pool and then decide how you are going to maintain your pool going forward so that your FC level stays high enough.

To me, this SLAM is going to be WAY more hassle than pouring in a little bleach every day. Or if you do not want to do that, then look into a SWG system.

JDeNova007, take the advice of these Moderators. Like you, my pool was once "cloudy". So long in-fact I almost began to think fuzzy water was normal. I tried all the pucks, powders, and every other miracle product pushed on me by the local retailers ... until I learned TFP. The reason I chose/love my avatar pic is because it was one of the first pics I took after learning TFP and I could see my sons toes at the bottom of our 7' pool. TFP works! You will see similar links in all of our signatures because they are the most important tools for you to use. Be patient and consistent. Follow and stick to the TFP methods and you will be pleasantly surprised by the clarity of your water and amount of money saved. :)

Ph - 7.0
FC - 1.5
CC - .5
CYA - 45
TA - 100

My pool is cloudy, can't see the deep end.

So last year I ONLY used liquid chlorine and never really had to SLAM my pool but maybe once(forgot to keep chlorine up). I hated the daily task of adding the liquid chlorine not to mention the clothes I ruined and constantly going to the store to get a new 5 gallon jug. So this year I switch to 3" Tablets. I put about 3 in the skimmer at a time and run my pump 24/7. The FC levels have been steady and much easier to maintain. However, by doing this method I take it need to SLAM or shock my pool somewhat regularly??? Could this be why my pool is cloudy?

I will be raising my Ph with some Baking Soda tonight before considering a shock treatment. Any suggestions? Should I do the SLAM and see if this helps?

Appreciated.

Borax or Soda ash is used to raise PH..
Baking soda will raise TA and slightly raise PH.

I appreciate everyones input. A Hose clamp broke, so I can't run my pump until tomorrow. I will get some borax and start my SLAM tomorrow.

I did follow the TFP method last year, and it worked flawlessly.... as I said, except for doing the liquid chlorine constantly. I was hoping to avoid some of that this year with tabs, and I still hope to do so. (maybe not)

I think I let my pH drop and didn't have my FC levels up to par with my CYA levels - so my FC couldnt do its job. As well, My pump was horribly clogged with these cotton floaties from the trees.... man they do a number.... I am going to put in a netting or something in the baskets to try and minimize them getting into my DE filter.

I was new to owning a pool last year, found this website, and was graciously helped by some people on here and I was able to SLAM my pool and use the liquid chlorine (and not much else) throughout all of last year with next to no issues.

I may have to just have to get a better method of adding the chlorine. I may build some contraption to hold the Liquid, and add a spout to fill my containers because pouring out of those 5 gallon jugs sucks. Or how about a kerosene pump
??? Hmmmmm.

BTW, I cannot get a SWG because my pool walls are Metal, and with the cracks around my flashing the water spills over the side and into the cracks then down the metal walls.... then the Salt with erode my walls. I read somewhere that SWG are great, unless you have metal walls.

A final thought.... testing my CYA levels with my kit. Am I to not see the black dot AT ALL..... I feel as though I could still BBARRRREELY see it... but it says in the test to go until it is no longer visible, and stop right after it disappears. I may need to retest that tomorrow to get a confirmation on my CYA before SLAMing.

And can you order just the CYA test bottles? Those ran out fast, and I have none left. The rest of my kit is mostly intact however.

Thanks again. This is why I am a lifetime member.

You can buy skimmer socks for the skimmer baskets or use pantyhose to help catch the cotton. Yes, tftestkits.net sells all,or the refills individually.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.