My testing is completely differnt than the pools store!

Derp

May 27, 2015
Charlottesville, VA
Ive been using my tf-100 test kit and have been trying to tackle high, ph and ta while trying to lower my chlorine and get the cya in range. Blah! I brought some water to the pool store and our numbers are just all over the place! Im so confused!

My numbers with the tf-100

CL 8
TC 5+
CC 0
PH 7.8
TA 120
CH 350
CYA 50

have SWG turned down to 15% because CL has been running at 10 or more.

pool store numbers using Clearcare computer water analysis

CL 5.7
TC 7.68
CC 1.98
PH 7.5
TA 74
CH 187
CYA 11

its like its two different pools. I dont know where to begin. My water is crystal clear and Im having no issues but I want to be in the suggested TFP range and am thinking about adding borates to help with ph drift. Im a complete noob and dont want to screw it up!! Anyone have any ideas??

I took my pool water to three different pool stores one right after the other. Two had the same name and one was a different name.

ALL three had different results and the cost to "fix" my clear pool ranged from $50 to $175!

"How does your water look?" "clear" "Well you numbers are way off and it is going to take xyz (all three store said different stuff and amounts of stuff) to fix you pool"

I had already tested my water at home and it was spot on!

I did this just so I would be able to see for myself how bad it was. It is bad :(

Kim

This is the exact reason so many of us are hesitant to give ANY advice based on pool store test numbers, if you want to prove to yourself just how wrong they can be. Get a water sample, split it into 4 samples, test one yourself and take the other 3 to 3 pool stores and compare the results. For bonus points do it again a week later and the week after that and see which of the 3 tracks logically on things like CH and CYA that should only ever go UP due to evaporation and never go down without water replacement.

This is the exact reason so many of us are hesitant to give ANY advice based on pool store test numbers, if you want to prove to yourself just how wrong they can be. Get a water sample, split it into 4 samples, test one yourself and take the other 3 to 3 pool stores and compare the results. For bonus points do it again a week later and the week after that and see which of the 3 tracks logically on things like CH and CYA that should only ever go UP due to evaporation and never go down without water replacement.

So very true!

If it wasnt for this forum, I would be adding a ton of stabilizer and calcium right now and then in a week, I would be told I was too high and that I was going to have to empty and refill and start the process all over! Ugh! Glad I stopped in here to double check myself. Just going to focus on getting the ph and ta in a good range to be able to add borates. Who said pool maintanance was fun??? Anyone? Anyone??????? ;)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I took my pool water to three different pool stores one right after the other. Two had the same name and one was a different name.

ALL three had different results and the cost to "fix" my clear pool ranged from $50 to $175!

"How does your water look?" "clear" "Well you numbers are way off and it is going to take xyz (all three store said different stuff and amounts of stuff) to fix you pool"

I did this just so I would be able to see for myself how bad it was. It is bad :(

Kim

theres the proof right there. thanks for going to the trouble to do that to prove such a dramatic point.

- - - Updated - - -

Kim

theres the proof right there. thanks for going to the trouble to do that to prove such a dramatic point.

Regarding the original post, your numbers are so close. You have a smaller pool and i've seen other people with their SWG's % all over the map. im at 40%, but i know a lot of people seem to get by on anywhere from 10 - 90 depending on the output of the cell and your pool size. waters clear, you're pumpin' out chlorine - you can lower you TA easily enough. looks like youre rockin' it.

That sounds interesting. The pool store has this automated machine and my numbers were pretty close except my TA with my TF-100 was 310! They got 74 And **** it if I didn't add baking soda. I'll now go adjust in the complete opposite direction.

That sounds interesting. The pool store has this automated machine and my numbers were pretty close except my TA with my TF-100 was 310! They got 74 And **** it if I didn't add baking soda. I'll now go adjust in the complete opposite direction.

The TA test reagent bottle tip can build up static electricity. If the drops are squirting out and not forming full drops then you should use a moist cloth to wipe the tip.

The TA test is also one that seems to need some good mixing and you have to be sure to wait till the last color change. The SpeedStir is a great way of ensuring you have a well mixed sample. Even with this minor touchiness, testing with the TF-100 is light years ahead of store testing for accuracy and repeatability.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.