Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: My testing is completely differnt than the pools store!

1. Back To Top    #1

My testing is completely differnt than the pools store!

Ive been using my tf-100 test kit and have been trying to tackle high, ph and ta while trying to lower my chlorine and get the cya in range. Blah! I brought some water to the pool store and our numbers are just all over the place! Im so confused!

My numbers with the tf-100

CL 8
    TC 5+
    CC 0
    PH 7.8
    TA 120
    CH 350
    CYA 50

have SWG turned down to 15% because CL has been running at 10 or more.

pool store numbers using Clearcare computer water analysis

CL 5.7
    TC 7.68
    CC 1.98
    PH 7.5
    TA 74
    CH 187
    CYA 11

its like its two different pools. I dont know where to begin. My water is crystal clear and Im having no issues but I want to be in the suggested TFP range and am thinking about adding borates to help with ph drift. Im a complete noob and dont want to screw it up!! Anyone have any ideas??
    10500G, BR Fiberglass (September 2014) SWG, Hayward Aquaplus system with T-Cell3, Hayward Pro-Series Sand Filter, Hayward Super Pump, TF-100 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: My testing is completely differnt than the pools store!

Stop having your water tested at the pool store.

No more confusion.
    8,000 gallon, in ground, fiberglass pool with a cartridge filter.

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

Trust your test kit! Don't go to the pool store anymore.

Proves once again the PS is wrong!
    Lisa
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

4. Back To Top    #4

Well, Ive never owned a pool before and I just got the tf test kit and wasn't confident in my numbers. So I thought the store would back it up but to no avail. Just kind of shocked by the difference in numbers. Thanks for the reply tho.
    10500G, BR Fiberglass (September 2014) SWG, Hayward Aquaplus system with T-Cell3, Hayward Pro-Series Sand Filter, Hayward Super Pump, TF-100 test kit

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

Well now you know your testing will always trump the PS testing.
    Lisa
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

6. Back To Top    #6

And this is why we recommend to get your own reliable test kit as fervently as we do. Good for you that you have the TF100! No more guessing game now!
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

7. Back To Top    #7

I took my pool water to three different pool stores one right after the other. Two had the same name and one was a different name.

ALL three had different results and the cost to "fix" my clear pool ranged from $50 to $175!

"How does your water look?" "clear" "Well you numbers are way off and it is going to take xyz (all three store said different stuff and amounts of stuff) to fix you pool"

I had already tested my water at home and it was spot on!

I did this just so I would be able to see for myself how bad it was. It is bad

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

8. Back To Top    #8

This is the exact reason so many of us are hesitant to give ANY advice based on pool store test numbers, if you want to prove to yourself just how wrong they can be. Get a water sample, split it into 4 samples, test one yourself and take the other 3 to 3 pool stores and compare the results. For bonus points do it again a week later and the week after that and see which of the 3 tracks logically on things like CH and CYA that should only ever go UP due to evaporation and never go down without water replacement.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
    This is the exact reason so many of us are hesitant to give ANY advice based on pool store test numbers, if you want to prove to yourself just how wrong they can be. Get a water sample, split it into 4 samples, test one yourself and take the other 3 to 3 pool stores and compare the results. For bonus points do it again a week later and the week after that and see which of the 3 tracks logically on things like CH and CYA that should only ever go UP due to evaporation and never go down without water replacement.
    So very true!
    Lisa

10. Back To Top    #10

If it wasnt for this forum, I would be adding a ton of stabilizer and calcium right now and then in a week, I would be told I was too high and that I was going to have to empty and refill and start the process all over! Ugh! Glad I stopped in here to double check myself. Just going to focus on getting the ph and ta in a good range to be able to add borates. Who said pool maintanance was fun??? Anyone? Anyone???????

11. Back To Top    #11

TFP Guide

18*36*23 true "L" vinyl IG 29,000 gallons. SWG. TF-100 test kit.
    http://tftestkits.net/splash-page.html

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by kimkats View Post
    I took my pool water to three different pool stores one right after the other. Two had the same name and one was a different name.

ALL three had different results and the cost to "fix" my clear pool ranged from $50 to $175!

"How does your water look?" "clear" "Well you numbers are way off and it is going to take xyz (all three store said different stuff and amounts of stuff) to fix you pool"

Kim
    theres the proof right there. thanks for going to the trouble to do that to prove such a dramatic point.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by kimkats View Post

Kim
    theres the proof right there. thanks for going to the trouble to do that to prove such a dramatic point.

Regarding the original post, your numbers are so close. You have a smaller pool and i've seen other people with their SWG's % all over the map. im at 40%, but i know a lot of people seem to get by on anywhere from 10 - 90 depending on the output of the cell and your pool size. waters clear, you're pumpin' out chlorine - you can lower you TA easily enough. looks like youre rockin' it.
    12000g pool + 1000g spa. Jandy 2.0hp epump + separate Jandy pump for Sheer Descent. Jandy CV Cartridge Filter. Jandy Lxi gas heater. Tropical Breeze PebbleTec. Aqualink. Aquapure SWG. Nature 2. The Pool Cleaner 2x. Taylor K-2005.

13. Back To Top    #13

That sounds interesting. The pool store has this automated machine and my numbers were pretty close except my TA with my TF-100 was 310! They got 74 And **** it if I didn't add baking soda. I'll now go adjust in the complete opposite direction.
    Bluegirl
    28000 gal in-ground, vinyl liner, Hayward Sand filter, 1 hp Sta-Rite pump single speed , TF-100 test kit, Sunheater solar heat.

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by bluegirl View Post
    That sounds interesting. The pool store has this automated machine and my numbers were pretty close except my TA with my TF-100 was 310! They got 74 And **** it if I didn't add baking soda. I'll now go adjust in the complete opposite direction.
    The TA test reagent bottle tip can build up static electricity. If the drops are squirting out and not forming full drops then you should use a moist cloth to wipe the tip.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by bluegirl View Post
    The TA test is also one that seems to need some good mixing and you have to be sure to wait till the last color change. The SpeedStir is a great way of ensuring you have a well mixed sample. Even with this minor touchiness, testing with the TF-100 is light years ahead of store testing for accuracy and repeatability.
    21K gal 16' x 40' in-ground pool built 1959, old school with Jacuzzi bronze pump, American Products 24" Sand Filter & Americana Multiport valve, Jandy Lite2 millivolt heater, Coverstar cover, and classic Kreepy Krauly.