High Cya/Dilution help

May 26, 2015
Phoenix
All,

I have the same problem. My CYA test is reading off the charts. I diluted it but still over 200. I diluted 4 times and I think I am over 1000 PPM. I am draining the pool. I could not keep Chlorine in the pool. PH kept going low.(below 6.8) The calculator says 95% water exchange? So I hope I am right in draining it. I do have algae that never really clears up. starts to clear and then comes back. I have ordered the TFT kit so I can start testing CC and FC.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

The high CYA is not making the chlorine disappear. The chlorine is being consumed by stuff growing in the water since you did not maintain the FC high enough for your elevated CYA level ... see the FC/CYA Chart for the concept, but you are well beyond the bounds.

What kind of pool do you have? I am assuming plaster. While given your location, there is little to no risk of floating the pool out the ground. The intense heat and sun we currently have could cause damage if the plaster is left exposed for too long.
I would suggest you setting up a sprinkler to keep the plaster cool and wet while you drain and fill.

Please add your pool details to your signature as described HERE as it will help us help you.

I thought I had saved my signature. UGH... Hopefully it will come up now. I hope I am on the right track. I have had nothing but problems and of course the Pool store just sells me plenty of stuff that works in the beginning but Algae comes back within a week. I have a new testing kit on the way.

Just a little more background.
I have a bad Algae problem. Water is not very clear and pool is looks poor.
My PH is consistently dropping. Fast. I bring it up to 7.6 and within a week, it is at 6.8 and lower
My soon to be old test kit reads Chlorine around 1. i have put tons of Liquid Chlorine in and it clears up the algae but is gone very fast. I am sure it is due to the high algae.
Alkalinity is at 200
I have been putting tabs in since the beginning.

Your pH is dropping and your CYA is skyrocketing due to the continued use of trichlor tablets.
After reading plenty here? I understand.

You need to lower the CYA, and then follow the ShockLevelAndMAINTAIN Process to eradicate the algae.

Yes that is why I am currently draining pool. From what I read. There is no other way to get rid of CYA without exchanges.

Have you discovered Pool School yet? Start with these as I think you need to get some background information on the methods we teach and why we do what we do.
Yes great information. I have had a pool way too long not to understand all of this. Wasted many dollars. But will come up to speed quickly. Thanks

Ok the pool has been drained and refilled. I have been circulating for 2 days with lots of Chlorine and brushing. The pool has not looked this crystal clear in couple years. Here is my testing results?
PH 7.6
FC 7 PPM
CC 1 PPM
CH 650 PPM
TA 160
CYA 30 ppm
Brand new water and the Calcium is pretty high? Must be incoming? I will testing that. I am leaving out of town for 7 days tomorrow. So I am not going to increase the CYA as I am going to be using Tabs while I am gone. It should increase some from that and I will adjust after my return.

Questions:
Should I lower my PH to 7.2 since I am at the higher range? I think this will lower my TA also?
Any other suggestions?

Thanks so much for all the information.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.