Approx bleach and acid

Feb 10, 2008
Gilbert AZ
I've been using Tri-chlor exclusively for the past 4 years, but now I'm switching to BBB. Approximately how many gallons of 6% bleach do you use per year? Also approximately how many gallons of 31% muriatic acid do you use per year?
Thanks

In the summer I was using 3 quarts of bleach per day. Now that the weather has cooled and the sun shines on the pool for a shorter period of time I'm using about 6 quarts per WEEK. :) I'm also using about 1 quart of acid per week.

The best thing is that I'm now using ZERO algaecide, only backwashed my DE filter once all summer (this was required about every other week pre-BBB), I haven't had to shock the pool all summer, and the pool has been crystal clear ever since the week I added Borax. I'm sure that the pool store misses me... ;)

In my 16,000 gallon pool I add (on average) 2 cups of 12.5% chlorinating liquid (equivalent to 1 quart of 6% bleach) every day. However, I have an electric opaque pool cover so that reduces loss of chlorine from sunlight. The pool is used almost everyday with the cover open for around 1-2 hours in partial sun/shade. As for acid, I only add about 2 cups of Muriatic Acid (31.45% Hydrochloric Acid) once a month, again mostly due to having the cover that prevents carbon dioxide outgassing.

One 3" 8-ounce Trichlor tablet/puck is equivalent in chlorine quantity to 7 cups of 12.5% chlorinating liquid or 14.2 cups of 6% bleach. So if you know your current Trichor consumption, then you can figure what your bleach usage will be.

Richard

Meatloaf,

A pool your size in the AZ sun will probably average about 1/2 gal of 6% daily running a somewhat higher CYA of say 60ppm.

That's an estimate but it wont be a quart and it won't be three quarts.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.