Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Balancing New SWG

1. Back To Top    #1

Balancing New SWG

Looking for some expert advice.

I'm working on balancing my brand new SWG. Just finished adding salt to the recommended ppm and the builder set the cell to 50% chlorine production. I want to balance my pool the TFP way. According to "Water Balance for SWG's" I need to get my CYA up to 70 before adjusting the cell. My problem is the CYA test doesn't show any levels of cyanuric acid in my pool but my builder said he added some. Without knowing the actual level of CYA, is the safest approach to add a gallon of liquid stabalizer...wait 24 hrs and then test...then repeat until I can get a proper reading?

My salt is at 3000 ppm w/ cell at 50%. I've tested but have 0 FC and 0 TC. I'm thinking this is due to my low CYA and UV eating up all FC being produced. Just need a little advice on how to get it up safely without going over. Hate the idea of draining any water to add moe...just filled the dang thing up and not wanting to dump more water in it if not needed.

Thanks for the any advice!!!
    -25,000 gal. freeform gunite, smooth quartz finish w/ spa
    -2 hp Jandy Pro Series Stealth; Jandy Pro Series Cartridge Filter (CV340)
    -Jandy Pro Series AquaPure Chlorinator; Jandy Pro Series JXi Heater
    -Zodiac MX8 cleaner; Taylor K-2005 DPD Complete Chlorine Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Balancing New SWG

When did PB add Stablizer and what type as well as how is very important? I would not add anymore until you know what the PB added.

A SWG is designed to maintain FC level not bring it up.

For now you can say your CYA is 0 until you find out what and how much he added and use pool Mathew to target 2ppm and add bleach.
    Lisa
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

3. Back To Top    #3

Yes, use bleach to keep FC up until the CYA starts registering. That usually takes a week or so. Don't be surprised if the builder only set you to 30 CYA. When the CAY starts working, so will the SWG, and your FC levels should start to go up.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Thank you for the quick reply Azgirl71! I will check to see when and what he added. Not real pleased with the PB's communication throughout this process. Hopefully he can give me what I need to move forward.

So, I will approach it with 0 CYA and add bleach to raise FC and then maintain...THANKS FOR THE HELP!

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

Your very welcome.
    Lisa
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks Richard320...you guys are great!

7. Back To Top    #7

Just got a response from the PB and he said "we buy in bulk from supplier. No brand". He did say it was granular.

I asked him what level he brought it up to and he said he shoots for 50-70. I will follow the recommendations and watch it for a week.

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

Ok watch for 1 week and retest. When did he add it?
    Lisa

9. Back To Top    #9

About 1.5 weeks ago.

10. Back To Top    #10

Any CYA added to the pool should have shown up by now.

Either there's a testing error, or the builder did not add CYA as indicated.
    20k IG vinyl liner/Aqua Rite SWCG, T-15 cell/Hayward Pro Grid 6020 DE filter/Polaris 280 with booster pump/Hayward Superpump 1 hp/city water/pool installed March 2004

11. Back To Top    #11

TFP Guide

Saturn is right. Go ahead and at least target 30 CYA right now. If you already have the liquid conditioner you can use that. And be able to test in a couple hours to see what CYA is at.
    Lisa

12. Back To Top    #12

I have it...will do

13. Back To Top    #13

TFP Guide

Sound good

- - - Updated - - -

Make sure water is at least 70 degrees too and after you mix 30 seconds. Set it downthenmixanother 30 seconds and test
    Lisa

14. Back To Top    #14

After putting in the conditioner do you recommend to still go ahead and add bleach to raise FC to 2?

15. Back To Top    #15

TFP Guide

Yes you can raise it to 2 still and then test CYA in a couple hours to see what it is and adjust from there.

Remember to also have your back to sunlight and tube waist level when you test.
    Lisa

16. Back To Top    #16

Thanks for the reply. Not that I can't make a mistake but I think I performed the test correctly and with my experience with the PB he probably didn't add it or at least to the levels he said.

I filled the bottle to the 7 line with pool water (elbow depth) filled up to 14 with CYA reagent. Shook it for 30 seconds and then filled the tube and not even a small fading of the dot before the tube spilled over the top.

17. Back To Top    #17

TFP Guide

PB did not add any then.
    Lisa

18. Back To Top    #18

Wouldn't be surprised. Pools beautiful but the little things have killed me.

19. Back To Top    #19

TFP Guide

I can imagine.
    Lisa

20. Back To Top    #20

Balancing New SWG

I would suggest you use your liquid stabilizer and then get the rest of the way with granular stabilizer. Granular stabilizer is cheaper and more cost effective. Liquid stabilizer only provides ~ 30% CYA by weight and the rest is water and chemicals to help the CYA dissolve into solution. The granular stuff can be put in skimmer sock or old, clean nylon and then either hung in front of a return or placed in the skimmer. If you place it in the skimmer, you can only leave it in there while the pump is running as CYA is acidic. You'll either need to remove it when the pump is OFF or float it in a blue chemical float until you can put it back in the skimmer again.

Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast