Year 2 underway... love TFPC!

Jul 9, 2014
Rochester, NY
My pool was installed last July. I'd never owned a pool before, so I knew almost nothing about caring for one. I did a ton of online research while waiting for our install date. My Google searches kept bringing me back to this site, and I was impressed by the knowledge here and the helpful attitudes of the forum members. Pretty soon this became my default source of pool info and I started looking here first before even going to Google. Then I read Pool School and learned about TFPC. The method made a lot of sense to me conceptually, and the testimonials in the forums made me decide to try it right from the get-go. I bought a TF100 test kit and have followed TFPC methods diligently since the day our pool was filled. My water was pretty much perfect up until I closed the pool in the fall.

I was a little anxious when I went to open the pool this spring. Since it was my first time, I had no idea what to expect in terms of water quality. I was pleasantly surprised to find it crystal clear, with only a half dozen leaves on the bottom. Many of my friends who own pools were surprised and envious.

Because I live in western New York where the swimming season is short, I invested in a pool heater that my local pool store salesmen thought was way overkill for a pool this size. I'm so glad I did. Not only did I swim during the last weekend of September... I opened my pool on May 2 (a Saturday) and raised the temperature from 54 to 90 in time for a Sunday morning swim on May 3. Most folks around here don't open their pools until at least Memorial Day. We've had an unusually warm month of May, and my pool has had lots of use already.

This website rocks, and TFPC works. Thanks, all!

Couldn't agree more! I opened a bit earlier (around the same time I found TFP). I was able to get everything ready for an early May swim and a nice Mother's day get together. Like Rochester, southwest PA has a short pool season and a heater is necessary to get the most out of it.

My pool was installed last July. I'd never owned a pool before, so I knew almost nothing about caring for one. I did a ton of online research while waiting for our install date. My Google searches kept bringing me back to this site, and I was impressed by the knowledge here and the helpful attitudes of the forum members. Pretty soon this became my default source of pool info and I started looking here first before even going to Google. Then I read Pool School and learned about TFPC. The method made a lot of sense to me conceptually, and the testimonials in the forums made me decide to try it right from the get-go. I bought a TF100 test kit and have followed TFPC methods diligently since the day our pool was filled. My water was pretty much perfect up until I closed the pool in the fall.

I was a little anxious when I went to open the pool this spring. Since it was my first time, I had no idea what to expect in terms of water quality. I was pleasantly surprised to find it crystal clear, with only a half dozen leaves on the bottom. Many of my friends who own pools were surprised and envious.

Because I live in western New York where the swimming season is short, I invested in a pool heater that my local pool store salesmen thought was way overkill for a pool this size. I'm so glad I did. Not only did I swim during the last weekend of September... I opened my pool on May 2 (a Saturday) and raised the temperature from 54 to 90 in time for a Sunday morning swim on May 3. Most folks around here don't open their pools until at least Memorial Day. We've had an unusually warm month of May, and my pool has had lots of use already.

This website rocks, and TFPC works. Thanks, all!

Awesome!

I'm from Rochester too! Where did you get that heater? How much do you suspect it costs you to run it. I'm interested.

Hi Rick. I bought the heater online. Not sure if the forum frowns on specific mentions of web merchants... but I chose the model I wanted based on research I did here and on other sites, then Googled the model number and looked for a vendor who had it in stock at a good price. First I had checked with the local stores (Ace and Pettis) and they wouldn't sell me the Raypak.

I only have August and September of last year as examples to measure my heating cost, so it's a rough figure at best. I would say my gas bill was about $100 higher for those 2 months combined. That includes a late-September splurge when I raised the water back to 90 for a warm weekend after it had cooled all the way down to 61.

Hi Rick. I bought the heater online. Not sure if the forum frowns on specific mentions of web merchants... but I chose the model I wanted based on research I did here and on other sites, then Googled the model number and looked for a vendor who had it in stock at a good price. First I had checked with the local stores (Ace and Pettis) and they wouldn't sell me the Raypak.

I only have August and September of last year as examples to measure my heating cost, so it's a rough figure at best. I would say my gas bill was about $100 higher for those 2 months combined. That includes a late-September splurge when I raised the water back to 90 for a warm weekend after it had cooled all the way down to 61.

Thanks so much for the info. I appreciate it.

Lots of great TFPCing happening in this thread! It is easy to get complacent when every time you go look at the pool it is perfect and the numbers are right where you expect them to be and you know how to adjust it and everything is great. I wonder when the problems might start. I'm starting season 4 and it still hasn't happened! :)

This morning I have had the pleasure to experience what I love most about the knowledge gained here--process of elimination. The pool has been opened near a week. The chlorine is dropping too fast, 4.5 ppm the last two days. So, is the bleach weaker than advertised or is it algae looming in the background or did I not get an accurate CYA test result and it is too low? Simple, perform the OCLT. It's the CYA. I passed the test with ease and in the process could see the bleach concentration is perfect.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.