Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Year 2 underway... love TFPC!

1. Back To Top    #1

Year 2 underway... love TFPC!

My pool was installed last July. I'd never owned a pool before, so I knew almost nothing about caring for one. I did a ton of online research while waiting for our install date. My Google searches kept bringing me back to this site, and I was impressed by the knowledge here and the helpful attitudes of the forum members. Pretty soon this became my default source of pool info and I started looking here first before even going to Google. Then I read Pool School and learned about TFPC. The method made a lot of sense to me conceptually, and the testimonials in the forums made me decide to try it right from the get-go. I bought a TF100 test kit and have followed TFPC methods diligently since the day our pool was filled. My water was pretty much perfect up until I closed the pool in the fall.

I was a little anxious when I went to open the pool this spring. Since it was my first time, I had no idea what to expect in terms of water quality. I was pleasantly surprised to find it crystal clear, with only a half dozen leaves on the bottom. Many of my friends who own pools were surprised and envious.

Because I live in western New York where the swimming season is short, I invested in a pool heater that my local pool store salesmen thought was way overkill for a pool this size. I'm so glad I did. Not only did I swim during the last weekend of September... I opened my pool on May 2 (a Saturday) and raised the temperature from 54 to 90 in time for a Sunday morning swim on May 3. Most folks around here don't open their pools until at least Memorial Day. We've had an unusually warm month of May, and my pool has had lots of use already.

This website rocks, and TFPC works. Thanks, all!
    Sharkline Oceanic AG pool: 14.2k gallon, 15'x30' oval, built 7/17/14
    Pentair SD40 sand filter w/ 1HP dual-speed OptiFlo pump
    Raypak 266k BTU NG heater
    TF100 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Year 2 underway... love TFPC!

Couldn't agree more! I opened a bit earlier (around the same time I found TFP). I was able to get everything ready for an early May swim and a nice Mother's day get together. Like Rochester, southwest PA has a short pool season and a heater is necessary to get the most out of it.
    30,000 gal inground (20 ft. x 40 ft. w/ deep end), vinyl liner, Pentair Clear & Clear 420 cartridge filter, single speed 1.5 HP Pentair Whisperflow pump, heat pump, SunTouch controller

3. Back To Top    #3

Great job..both of you! With the winters y'all get, you deserve to get as much as you can out of summer and the swim season.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by HappyAuer View Post
    My pool was installed last July. I'd never owned a pool before, so I knew almost nothing about caring for one. I did a ton of online research while waiting for our install date. My Google searches kept bringing me back to this site, and I was impressed by the knowledge here and the helpful attitudes of the forum members. Pretty soon this became my default source of pool info and I started looking here first before even going to Google. Then I read Pool School and learned about TFPC. The method made a lot of sense to me conceptually, and the testimonials in the forums made me decide to try it right from the get-go. I bought a TF100 test kit and have followed TFPC methods diligently since the day our pool was filled. My water was pretty much perfect up until I closed the pool in the fall.

I was a little anxious when I went to open the pool this spring. Since it was my first time, I had no idea what to expect in terms of water quality. I was pleasantly surprised to find it crystal clear, with only a half dozen leaves on the bottom. Many of my friends who own pools were surprised and envious.

Because I live in western New York where the swimming season is short, I invested in a pool heater that my local pool store salesmen thought was way overkill for a pool this size. I'm so glad I did. Not only did I swim during the last weekend of September... I opened my pool on May 2 (a Saturday) and raised the temperature from 54 to 90 in time for a Sunday morning swim on May 3. Most folks around here don't open their pools until at least Memorial Day. We've had an unusually warm month of May, and my pool has had lots of use already.

This website rocks, and TFPC works. Thanks, all!
    Awesome!

I'm from Rochester too! Where did you get that heater? How much do you suspect it costs you to run it. I'm interested.
    Rick
    Installed June 2012 Aqua Leader 24ft Round AG Influence w/54 inch walls 13,500 gallons
    Cartridge Filter 100SF, 1.5HP
    Aqua Plus Smarte System - In for vacations, BBB all the way.
    Love my PVC Solar Cover Hangers

5. Back To Top    #5

Hi Rick. I bought the heater online. Not sure if the forum frowns on specific mentions of web merchants... but I chose the model I wanted based on research I did here and on other sites, then Googled the model number and looked for a vendor who had it in stock at a good price. First I had checked with the local stores (Ace and Pettis) and they wouldn't sell me the Raypak.

I only have August and September of last year as examples to measure my heating cost, so it's a rough figure at best. I would say my gas bill was about $100 higher for those 2 months combined. That includes a late-September splurge when I raised the water back to 90 for a warm weekend after it had cooled all the way down to 61.
    Sharkline Oceanic AG pool: 14.2k gallon, 15'x30' oval, built 7/17/14
    Pentair SD40 sand filter w/ 1HP dual-speed OptiFlo pump
    Raypak 266k BTU NG heater
    TF100 test kit

6. Back To Top    #6

Wow i thought i was early, this will be our 4th weekend of swimming, the first was the may 9th weekend. Weve had better weather already this may than we had all last summer. Our pool also goes quickly from the 60's to 90 (which my wife loves) as it is only 8500 gallons.
    32,000L Fibreglass Leisure Pools IG 12.5'x23'x5' Pump: AstralPools BX1 1.0HP
    Filter: AstralPools ZX-310 SWCG: AstralPools VX7T
    Heater: Hayward H250FDN Test Kit: TF-100

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by HappyAuer View Post
    Hi Rick. I bought the heater online. Not sure if the forum frowns on specific mentions of web merchants... but I chose the model I wanted based on research I did here and on other sites, then Googled the model number and looked for a vendor who had it in stock at a good price. First I had checked with the local stores (Ace and Pettis) and they wouldn't sell me the Raypak.

I only have August and September of last year as examples to measure my heating cost, so it's a rough figure at best. I would say my gas bill was about $100 higher for those 2 months combined. That includes a late-September splurge when I raised the water back to 90 for a warm weekend after it had cooled all the way down to 61.
    Thanks so much for the info. I appreciate it.
    Rick
    Installed June 2012 Aqua Leader 24ft Round AG Influence w/54 inch walls 13,500 gallons
    Cartridge Filter 100SF, 1.5HP
    Aqua Plus Smarte System - In for vacations, BBB all the way.
    Love my PVC Solar Cover Hangers

8. Back To Top    #8

Year 2, and I find that I am going to keep getting lazier and lazier until I finally get some algae.
    10,500 gal IG, Topaz Pebble, auto-level
    Hayward DE filter, 2HP Ecostar VSP, ProLogic PS-4, GVA actuators
    Cal Pools Wave Force Plus (wall return jets plus 2 floor pop-ups), Venturi Skimmer
    Water sheer, 2 wok pots, bubbler stem on the baja step
    ColorLogic Mutlicolor LED lamp. Taylor 2006+speed stir

9. Back To Top    #9

Lots of great TFPCing happening in this thread! It is easy to get complacent when every time you go look at the pool it is perfect and the numbers are right where you expect them to be and you know how to adjust it and everything is great. I wonder when the problems might start. I'm starting season 4 and it still hasn't happened!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

10. Back To Top    #10

This morning I have had the pleasure to experience what I love most about the knowledge gained here--process of elimination. The pool has been opened near a week. The chlorine is dropping too fast, 4.5 ppm the last two days. So, is the bleach weaker than advertised or is it algae looming in the background or did I not get an accurate CYA test result and it is too low? Simple, perform the OCLT. It's the CYA. I passed the test with ease and in the process could see the bleach concentration is perfect.
    15 X 30 X 3.6 Ester williams AGP
    10,800 gallons
    Haywood EC40C90 DE filter 1 HP pump
    TF-100 Test Kit

11. Back To Top    #11

Are you sure that is better than going to the pool store for a free test and a few hundred bucks of stuff that will turn your pool green???
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach