Going to start SLAMing on Friday.

Frayed

Aug 2, 2013
Eastern WA
This year when opening my pool it was discovered that the old sand media filter was kaput and was going to need some servicing. LocalPoolCo has always been a nighmare to deal with, and this was no exception. Getting them to call me back is like pulling teeth. So eventually I decided nuts to this and ordered a cartridge filter which should be here tomorrow that I plan to install myself. My pool definitely green. I haven't bothered putting any bleach in it since I had no filtration (this may have been a mistake?). So once I get the new filter installed I'm definitely going to have to SLAM for the first time.

I'm curious, during the SLAM should I keep the pool covered to mitigate FC loss due to sunlight and prevent additional contaminates from entering, or should the pool be uncovered while SLAMing so it can ventilate or something?

Thanks!

Sand in filters rarely ever goes bad ... might have just needed to Deep Clean your Sand Filter.

Usually you want the cover off for at least part of the day to let the sun help breakdown the CCs.

Cartridges can be a bit more of a pain to clear up algae as they may clog up quickly.

You could certainly start adding in a couple bottles of bleach every day and brush to mix it in ... might help keep the algae from getting worse.

Sand in filters rarely ever goes bad ... might have just needed to Deep Clean your Sand Filter.

Sorry, by kaput I meant that the sand is all coming out of the filter back into the pool (if the pump is running), or out my drain if I run it in waste mode. Additionally, the location and current setup for my pump to backwash puts me at risk of sending pool backwash down the storm drain (which is illegal here), so it's always been a dicey operation when I've had to backwash the filter. With the cartridge filter I can take the cartridges elsewhere on my property and wash them without having to risk getting a big fat fine, so that will decrease my stress level a bit regardless. :)

During a SLAM it is good to let the pool breath, so you should leave the cover off.

Perfect, thanks!

What test kit do you have?

I have the TF-100. Been using the TF-100 at the advice of this forum ever since I became a pool owner 3 years ago! :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.