Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Does pH affect CYA measurement?

1. Back To Top    #1

In the Industry

Does pH affect CYA measurement?

I have been searching a lot on here and elsewhere about CYA tests and effects. I know that temperature and light both affect the test results. Are there any other factors (outside of my eyeballs and the dilution) that might affect the results? Since it is a precipitate, I wondered if pH is a factor within expected ranges.
    Lyle
    Professional product developer using & maintaining a dozen or so spas from 150 to 550 gallons, many pools from 1200 to 40,000 gallons (above-ground and in-ground), and a half-dozen test tanks.
    If it's not one thing, it's usually several others!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Does pH affect CYA measurement?

Not that I'm aware of.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

No, not within any reasonable pool water pH range. Perhaps with extremes, but then it would essentially be irrelevant.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

4. Back To Top    #4

The melamine solution used in the Taylor CYA test contains pH buffers that lower the pH significantly. This is to maximize the amount of precipitate since melamine cyanurate is soluble in distilled water at around 20 ppm. So if the pH were not lowered, you'd get an artificially low CYA reading or if calibrated it would be inconsistent and dependent on pH. The pH buffer should be strong enough to overcome any normal starting pH to avoid this issue.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Thanks.

I did find this in which chem geek says "If Bioguard uses a CYA test that does not have a strong acid buffer in it, then the melamine-CYA complex may not form if the pH is high which it may very well be after the biodegradation of CYA. In fact, at a pH of 7, the melamine-CYA complex is soluble up to 20 ppm. The Taylor test has an acid buffer in its melamine reagent to maximize precipitation in the CYA test giving accurate results (otherwise, they'd never be able to measure down to 20 ppm). So I think you hit the nail on the head in thinking that the Bioguard CYA test tablet is a poor test reagent that is inaccurate under conditions of a pH out of normal range (especially high pH). "

I assumed that if I couldn't find it in a post easily, it isn't normally an issue. I do use Taylor so I'm not going to worry about it.
    Lyle
    Professional product developer using & maintaining a dozen or so spas from 150 to 550 gallons, many pools from 1200 to 40,000 gallons (above-ground and in-ground), and a half-dozen test tanks.
    If it's not one thing, it's usually several others!