Hayward pump shuts off on high speed

May 27, 2015
Portage/ indiana
This will be the 5th season for my Hayward 1.5hp 2 speed pump. When I switch it to high speed the pumps shuts off after a few seconds and then restarts only to cut out again. The problem seems to be intermittent, some days it will run on high as long as I need. I felt the motor body and it is not hotter than usual. Could this be happening because of low voltage? I have had it temporarily plugged into a power strip with a built in reset breaker. The pump will run on low speed fine. Thanks.

Welcome to the forum!

Is the motor fairly loud on full speed? If so, it could be a bearing problem which is causing a high load on the motor. An impeller obstruction could cause the same problem.

Could this be happening because of low voltage? I have had it temporarily plugged into a power strip with a built in reset breaker.
Is that power strip cord hot? Regardless if that's the problem, power strips are not designed to carry the load of a 1.5 HP pool pump and I would change that. I am a bit surprised you even have a corded 1.5 115v pump. That seems like it would do better hard-wired.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.