Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hayward pump shuts off on high speed

1. Back To Top    #1

Hayward pump shuts off on high speed

This will be the 5th season for my Hayward 1.5hp 2 speed pump. When I switch it to high speed the pumps shuts off after a few seconds and then restarts only to cut out again. The problem seems to be intermittent, some days it will run on high as long as I need. I felt the motor body and it is not hotter than usual. Could this be happening because of low voltage? I have had it temporarily plugged into a power strip with a built in reset breaker. The pump will run on low speed fine. Thanks.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Hayward pump shuts off on high speed

Welcome to the forum!

Is the motor fairly loud on full speed? If so, it could be a bearing problem which is causing a high load on the motor. An impeller obstruction could cause the same problem.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Re: Hayward pump shuts off on high speed

Could this be happening because of low voltage? I have had it temporarily plugged into a power strip with a built in reset breaker.
    Is that power strip cord hot? Regardless if that's the problem, power strips are not designed to carry the load of a 1.5 HP pool pump and I would change that. I am a bit surprised you even have a corded 1.5 115v pump. That seems like it would do better hard-wired.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School