Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Water Out of the Discharge When Flitering

1. Back To Top    #1

Question Water Out of the Discharge When Flitering

Over the past two days, I have noticed a significant drop in the water level. I filled it overnight twice and each afternoon my skimmer was sucking air. I added about 4 inches last night and during the night it occurred to me to check the discharge pipe. It runs the width of the backyard and empties into the ditch along the road. Sure enough, with the handle in the filter position, I'm getting a partial flow out of the drain. It's about half of what I get when I'm backwashing or vacuuming to waste.

My question is, is it the selector assembly or the spider gasket? I read in the page about deep cleaning the filter that this type of selector has no serviceable spider gasket. It's a Hayward Variflo XL. Is this true? There's a big chunk of change in the price of the selector valve vs a gasket. But then so is all the water I've been sending down the street to my neighbors.....
    10 year old 18x32 inground, vinyl liner 1 year old, 25,000 gallon Grecian, Hayward ST244 Sand Filter, 1hp Hayward pump, Diving board, Side Steps, Koolcrete decking located in middle [s:37hekvij]earth[/s:37hekvij] Georgia.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Water Out of the Discharge When Flitering

Your valve has a diverter assembly which has the spider gasket pre-installed. Likely your problem.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Water Out of the Discharge When Flitering

From what I've been reading, they go bad, usually having to be replaced once a year. Guess I've been blessed to have this one 3 years. BTW, the squirrels love to get on top of the filter and gnaw on the edges of the selector valve. I've got chew marks all around the top of this thing.
    10 year old 18x32 inground, vinyl liner 1 year old, 25,000 gallon Grecian, Hayward ST244 Sand Filter, 1hp Hayward pump, Diving board, Side Steps, Koolcrete decking located in middle [s:37hekvij]earth[/s:37hekvij] Georgia.