Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Priming the pump from PA...

1. Back To Top    #1

Priming the pump from PA...

Hello everybody!

I figured if I follow the advice and instructions from the start, maybe, just maybe, all the AMAZING pros and members would be patient and tolerant of me in the future

I've been a lurker and have been amazed and impressed with the amount of information that this site has! I think it's now time to come out from the shadows and quit second guessing myself and just ask for help.

Now about me...
    I have 2 wonderful rescue dogs who we cherish and spoil rotten, which is why we got a pool in the first place. My Rottie LOVES the water and has taught his pit mix "sister" to enjoy it too.
    We opted for a legacy pool because we were afraid the big guy would tear a traditional liner. Unfortunately no one taught him the proper way to swim and boy does he make a splash.
    Anyway, we had to take last year off because they're getting older and the Rottie has had ear problems and the vet said we couldn't put him under if he got water in them again.
    This year the vet says to let him swim and enjoy what life he has left.

I really enjoy being with the hubby and the dogs in the pool but I LOVE the snow and am counting the days until winter (sigh) 208.

I talk too much sometimes, I don't lie, I treat people the way I would want people to treat my mom and I don't offend easily.

If you made it this far, I thank you and appreciate your time!

Sno
    11800 gal, 14x27 oval legacy vinyl AG, Hayward Pro Series 18-Inch 1-Horsepower Top-Mount Sand Filter Power Matrix Pool Pump, Kreepy Krauly E-Z vac, pair of confer STEP 1,Taylor K-2006 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Priming the pump from PA...

Welcome to TFP!!

My German Shepherd Dog loves the water, but refuses to go in the pool. I think he doesn't like the steps....
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

3. Back To Top    #3

I can attest to the fact that out of my 7 dogs (yes, we have issues) our German Sheppard acts like a fish and jumps-in ANY chance he gets. Woof! Oh, and by the way ... no problem reading your post. I have seen others much longer.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks!
    Awhhhh.... have you tried a ramp? It took about a week for the pit to watch the rottie going in and out before she finally took the leap. She didn't like getting back out until we finally found the Confer step1 steps. Now she's a pro
    11800 gal, 14x27 oval legacy vinyl AG, Hayward Pro Series 18-Inch 1-Horsepower Top-Mount Sand Filter Power Matrix Pool Pump, Kreepy Krauly E-Z vac, pair of confer STEP 1,Taylor K-2006 test kit

5. Back To Top    #5

My Sheppard knows just where the steps are, and he's big enough to find them on his own with his big legs and paws. Our other dogs are smaller and tend to get a little scared when swimming in our "ocean".
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

6. Back To Top    #6

That's funny Texas Splash!
    As a matter of fact we got our Rottie because he ran away from a bad home to go swim in cold PA March reservoir!
    Before anyone asks, no we didn't just keep him. LONG story, neglectful druggie owner, bad, bad uncle who kept him though he didn't want to and let him get attacked by his own mistreated dogs, finally surrendered to us by dog catcher and owner. Happy ending!

7. Back To Top    #7

Welcome to TFP.

If we still had our 3 black labs, they would be in the pool more often than not. Our current and prior dog have not shown any interest in the pool, however.

Sno: Glad to hear the happy ending for your Rottie.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

8. Back To Top    #8

I love our legacy pool and our dog has a blast swimming in it too!
    17x32 Legacy Pool / Deck built around entire pool / Hayward EC40C92S Perflex 1-Horsepower Extended-Cycle D.E. Filter / Dolphin DX-3 / GLI Cyclone Solar Cover Reel / TF100 Test Kit/Raypak 266k BTU Cupro Nickel Gas Heater

Pool/Deck Install Finished Finally!!