Losing 1/2" when pump running

bluegirl

Aug 13, 2013
Ontario Canada
Hi guys,
Fixed a leak at the pump this spring when I noticed small bubbles coming out of the return and now the pump basket has very little air in it. However, in the last 2 weeks or so we have been losing 1/2" a day but only when running. Bucket test proved not evaporation. I dye tested and the openings in the pool itself. No water coming out of backwash line. I replaced the spider gasket last summer. The only thing about the filter, is when I turn it off I can hear air entering from somewhere. Other than that, there is no standing water anywhere around the pool so no underground noticeable leak. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Losing more water only when the pump is running points to a leak on the pressure side. Since you do not see water coming out by the equipment, it could be in the underground pipes. Not sure how to suggest locating it though.

Air should not be able to enter the system when the pump turns off, so you have a leak somewhere (even if it does not let water out when the pump is running). Although this is not likely related to your water loss issue.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.