Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Losing 1/2" when pump running

1. Back To Top    #1

Ontario Canada

Losing 1/2" when pump running

Hi guys,
    Fixed a leak at the pump this spring when I noticed small bubbles coming out of the return and now the pump basket has very little air in it. However, in the last 2 weeks or so we have been losing 1/2" a day but only when running. Bucket test proved not evaporation. I dye tested and the openings in the pool itself. No water coming out of backwash line. I replaced the spider gasket last summer. The only thing about the filter, is when I turn it off I can hear air entering from somewhere. Other than that, there is no standing water anywhere around the pool so no underground noticeable leak. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.
    28000 gal in-ground, vinyl liner, Hayward Sand filter, 1 hp Sta-Rite pump single speed I think, TF-100 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2
    Tucson, AZ

Re: Losing 1/2" when pump running

Losing more water only when the pump is running points to a leak on the pressure side. Since you do not see water coming out by the equipment, it could be in the underground pipes. Not sure how to suggest locating it though.

Air should not be able to enter the system when the pump turns off, so you have a leak somewhere (even if it does not let water out when the pump is running). Although this is not likely related to your water loss issue.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!