new to the forum and SLAM

May 27, 2015
wichita falls, tx
first off, i am so glad i found this site! lots of good info and helpful people!
i am going to slam my pool to get rid of the swamp but i ran into a bit of confusion regarding cya. my cya was below the measurement with taylor k2006. did it twice and could still see the dot. if i am going to shock my pool using slam method, do i need to raise cya first or just use less bleach(according to cya/chlorine chart? thanks in advance!

25000g
fc - 10
cc - 20
ph - 7.5
alk - 80
cya - 0ish

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

First we need to understand your results. Was the CC really that high? How much chlorine did you add and when did you take the above test results?

With a loss of CYA and the higher than normal CC this could be a case of ammonia.

I would hold off on adding CYA for now and wait until the FC holds for 30 minutes and the CC level falls.

Note, use 10ml of water for the FAS-DPD chlorine test so each drop is 0.5ppm
Also, order refills for the FAS-DPD and the CYA test ASAP as you are going to run out trying to clear out this CC issue.

Please add your pool details to your signature as described HERE as it will help us help you.

Well, 3 gallons should have raised your FC by 12ppm ... so I do not think it is possible for the FC to be 10ppm and the CC to be 20ppm.

Can you describe how you did the chlorine test?

How much powder did you add?
If one heaping scoop, then that should be plenty. If in doubt, add a little extra, but if the color does not get deeper, then you must have low FC level.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well why 4 gallons? You should always be using PoolMath to calculate how much is required to reach your desired target.

4 gallons should have added 16ppm of FC which is pretty high for a CYA of < 20ppm ... see the FC/CYA Chart.

At this point it is clear that ammonia is NOT a problem here. So I would suggest you raise the CYA up toward around 30-40ppm and then follow the ShockLevelAndMAINTAIN Process.

You need to maintain the shock FC level that is appropriate for your CYA level. Right now you should be down around 10ppm. But when you raise the CYA up, you would need to also raise the FC target up.

Any stabilizer that is close to 100% cyanuric acid is fine. It can usually be found at hardware stores in the pool section or the Walmart HTH stuff seems to dissolve well. Just use PoolMath and put the amount you need into a sock and put it in your skimmer.

Be sure to update your signature so it's easier for everyone to help you out.
To change your profile and/or signature, select "Settings" (top right under Pool School button). Scroll down (left side) to "My Settings" & select Edit Profile or Edit Signature.

Use Pool Math to calculate your pool volume and your chemical additions. When in doubt, estimate you pool volume lower at first, especially when adding CYA. It's easy to add CYA, not so easy to get it out.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.